Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Deer Rifle Recommendations

Default 1st Deer Rifle Recommendations

Me again,

I didn't grow up in the woods like most of you, so I'm tryna make up for lost time, part of which includes killing some *deers. A few fine fellows here have offered me the opportunity to hunt their land, so I'm wanting to start preparing now so I'm ready when the season arrives.

All that to say, what's a good "starter" rifle for a rank amateur? I'm proficient with firearms, so that's not a problem. Holler at ya mang with your feedback. And as always, thanks in advance.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I've been shooting the same Savage 30-06 for 17yrs now. It's not pretty, but it'll drop them dead just as good as anything else.

Rem 700 or Tikka T3 in 270, 06, or 308. Don't get caught up in all the bullshit fad calibers....if you're not reloading, you want to be able to walk into 99% of the stores and pick up the ammo you are sighted in with off the shelf..
    You're not looking for sub MOA that half these yanks can't shoot anyway. You're looking for sub MOD(minute of deer).

ETA: Or look for a Savage 10/11/110/111 variant
    Last edited by FishSticker; 04-19-2022 at 11:52 AM.

338 Lapua.

Go big, or go home.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Hard to beat the price and out of box accuracy of a Savage bolt action (10 or 110) with accutrigger.

I have been eyeballing the Tikka's. Cant find one in lefty. My next caliber will be a .308. I've always shot a .270. My son has a 300 winshortmag. My daughter has a .243.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Rem. 700. 270. 140gr SSTs. Put a good scope on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Don't listen to BB, that little .338 ain't got shit on a .700 Nitro Express
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Tikka t3 308, or if on a Budget 308 ruger American. Get a good scope

There's really no need to go "fancy". I shoot a Ruger American 30-06. It's very accurate. I liked it so much I bought my daughters one in .243, but my oldest still prefers my 30-06 over the .243. I know you are a "small" fella so you might want to look at the .243 or 7-08...

All kidding aside... Ruger, Savage, Rem 700 in 270 or 30-06 is all you will ever need. Get you a good scope... doesn't have to be $1000 scope... and you are all set.

Tikka T3

Ruger American or Savage are inexpensive and accurate enough. Then put some decent glass on it and shoot it forever.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

An older Browning A-bolt in .30-06 or .270
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

savage or rem 700 .270

ammo is (usually) readily available, different grains to choose from to get dialed in, low recoil and flat shooting. .270 is a no brainer.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Begara B14, Tikka T3x, Savage 10 in .308 or 6.5CM. Own all three of you want to look at or shoot them. Quality optic is more essential.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Me again,

I didn't grow up in the woods like most of you, so I'm tryna make up for lost time, part of which includes killing some *deers. A few fine fellows here have offered me the opportunity to hunt their land, so I'm wanting to start preparing now so I'm ready when the season arrives.

All that to say, what's a good "starter" rifle for a rank amateur? I'm proficient with firearms, so that's not a problem. Holler at ya mang with your feedback. And as always, thanks in advance.
    The people offering somewhere to hunt just want to ride on your fancy boat.

Tikka T3X - easy to adjust the trigger. Good mounts and decent scope that fits your budget.

For Deer and / or Hogs in the SC hunting scenario ??? 308 Winchester. Period. Dot.

BB - EuroOptic has LH Tikka T3X in stock from time to time. I just picked up a CTR in .223 from them and love it. It shoots real small groups.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I think the browning X bolt is a fine rifle for the money. I have two now…

And like was stated earlier, good glass.

Thanks for all the feedback. Next, school me on some scopes that won't require me to pawn off a kidney.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master