Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twenty-Dolphin Days?

It's Fla and NC fault, thought SC is dead between the two states, the dolphin apparently bypass SC with lockjaw
    When I was in college at ECU, I mated out of Oregon Inlet in the summers.
    Bailing dolphin was the money shot, I would just sling the dolphin in the transom box and slide the hook remover down the line in one motion
    as fast as I could go when we got in em. I kept a bucket of washed out ballyhoo that I cut into chunks to bait spinners and toss handfulls overboard when they were on us. Its definitely a thing of beauty when done right,
    60 was the norm, everyday. You can bleib dat or not
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-19-2022 at 09:17 PM.

This makes me just as happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The best equipment is not a substitute for knowledge.

Also, using that Hawaiian word, which you’ve done twice lately, even in jest, is full metro.

Although you largely contribute nothing of value, your second sentence is very well written. Grammatically at least.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    It's still the norm, but pressure is real. When a dozen or so boats used to be able to work a line, now there are 50. They're still there, just pushed down. Averaging 5-6 wahoo a day isn't coming back though.
    So planers then?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So planers then?
    Absolutely. And for technical points, run dredges at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

we often drag some little flying fish lures to attract them
    Adjust until they are just skipping along the top
    I string 4 or 5 of these together. One side of the boat with the blue color in the link below and run pink ones on the other side. Hook in last one in the chain
    https://carolinalures.com/products/y...tarting-at-599
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-20-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    we often drag some little flying fish lures to attract them
    Adjust until they are just skipping along the top
    I string 4 or 5 of these together. One side of the boat with the blue color in the link below and run pink ones on the other side. Hook in last one in the chain
    https://carolinalures.com/products/y...tarting-at-599
    We run 'em, too. Have you seen more success with one color versus the other? In terms of strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    The blue marlin tagged in big rock dropped the tag off the east coast of Africa.

The dolphin and tunas getting purse seined there are our fish too....
    That’s cool is there an article about that?
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    We run 'em, too. Have you seen more success with one color versus the other? In terms of strikes?
    Would you believe I was crazy if I told you that color isn’t very important trolling for dolphin?

If you’re in em, you can troll your flip flop with j hook on it.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Would you believe I was crazy if I told you that color isn’t very important trolling for dolphin?

If you’re in em, you can troll your flip flop with j hook on it.
    Blue, green, or yellow??

I've caught a few "cockroaches of the sea" in my day; but I'm always looking for new information, too.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 04-20-2022 at 11:27 AM.

What's fun is keeping one in the water hooked and pitching light tackle with squid on a hook to them
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Blue, green, or yellow??

One of each.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

A couple years ago we found a weedline about 30 yards wide with a clean pocket about 500 yards long with no one anywhere around. When we first got on it with the full spread I think every line went down. We could get 1 or 2 lines at a time before we hooked up. It was about the craziest dolphin fishing you could ask for. dmatheny was there... I almost feel like we could have caught them trolling a piece of aluminum foil.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...hlight=dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    What's fun is keeping one in the water hooked and pitching light tackle with squid on a hook to them
    Or just tease them alongside and stick a gaff straight into them. Easy peasy when they are there...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Or just tease them alongside and stick a gaff straight into them. Easy peasy when they are there...
    That's right fun too but something about the rod and 10/lb. test
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I finally understand the rad gaffer lingo. Thanks Jab.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I think pink and white is my favorite color for dolphin if bright and sunny, followed by blue and white
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-21-2022 at 01:29 AM.

Next question: what's the most planers you've run at one time? Do always run 'em on JUST the flat lines, or do y'all utilize the outrigger and rocket launcher lines as well?