Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twenty-Dolphin Days?

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    I don't get to fish often anymore but last year I think our best day was 22-23 dolphin. I don't mind cleaning fish and I'm good at it.
    i like dolphin (fillets)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    We are waiting for the grown ones to push thru mid to late May.
    One of my favorite eating fish, along with Cobia and Grouper
    This is something I wanted to ask about as well. Why do the bulls and big cows come through later, versus along with the *peanuts* and *slingers* in mid-April? Is there a scientific reason other than water temps?

*Denotes rad offshore lingo*
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    No shit. “Bailing” dolphin is the offshore equivalent of a cane pole bridge fisher with a bucket full of “sweet bream.”

Bailers and Schoolie fisherman should be embarrassed.
    I don't disagree, but based on what premise/principle? If they're eating everything they catch, is it so bad? And FYI, I'm asking rhetorically.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    This is something I wanted to ask about as well. Why do the bulls and big cows come through later, versus along with the *peanuts* and *slingers* in mid-April? Is there a scientific reason other than water temps?

*Denotes rad offshore lingo*
    When they get to 30lbs they pair up or bulls are solitary.
    It’s not that they aren’t here. Loads of em are caught every year.

I don’t know this to be true, but I speculate that Florida (and NC) are having more of a negative impact on the fishery than anyone really wants to talk about.

Just the sheer number of fish under 28 inches that are kept daily in Florida alone is mind boggling.
    Have you seen the videos of hispanic neighborhood ditches where carcasses are thrown?

In NC they just stay up there so long. May to October those charter boats “bail” dolphin when the tuna fishing slows down every spring. By mid June, nearly every boat in the fleets from Hatteras to OI are stacking 40 fish on the docks.
    How many boats is that x how many fish x how many days?

Anybody know how many charter boats at OI alone? I don’t, but fished up there enough to see it’s pretty incredible.

In South FL, most anybody with a spinning rod and a 20ft bay boat can drill “schoolies” all summer.

That HAS to be affecting the fishery.

And that’s without us discussing long liners.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

And that’s without us discussing long liners.

Went on a charter with some buddies up there, as soon as they pulled out the spinning rods, we asked to tuna fish instead. I'd rather catch 3 yft than 60 small dolphin.

Pitching baits to 15-25lb fish is fun though.

Can't remember if it was this year or last but one longliner unloaded 11k of dolphin in Georgetown....

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Do they even still exist? I can remember stuffing boxes full of *mahi* not too long ago. Seems like those days are numbered, if not gone already. Truth or my perception?
    The best equipment is not a substitute for knowledge.

Also, using that Hawaiian word, which you’ve done twice lately, even in jest, is full metro.

It's still the norm, but pressure is real. When a dozen or so boats used to be able to work a line, now there are 50. They're still there, just pushed down. Averaging 5-6 wahoo a day isn't coming back though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Went on a charter with some buddies up there, as soon as they pulled out the spinning rods, we asked to tuna fish instead. I'd rather catch 3 yft than 60 small dolphin.

Pitching baits to 15-25lb fish is fun though.

Can't remember if it was this year or last but one longliner unloaded 11k of dolphin in Georgetown....
    Ride out to the Charleston Bump right now and the liners are there.

They won’t be for much longer, seems they move on by early May.

The majority of these boats are from way up north. Rhode Island and such.

They come down and tilefish, then longline, then head elsewhere. A good friend of mine worked a season with a yankee boat docked in Mcville a few years back.

What I can’t wrap my head around is why OBX never really get the quantity of quality fish we see.
    Maybe the Labrador current pushes the bigger fish out east.

But something is happening from Daytona south and Holden North.

Curvature of the shelf affecting currents keeping the majority of them well offshore?

Climate issues? Did the SC yellowfin get the memo first?

Who knows, but something is happening for sure.

When I was in high school, we fished my buddy’s dad’s Viking seemingly every weekend starting in early April and caught boatloads of quality fish through July.

These days it really boils down to just May.

Fun to discuss. Wish I knew.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Its a huge ocean and covers most of the world
    and these fish are all over most of it that is reasonably warm

The dolphin are gone becuz of flooded corn ponds.
    DILLIGAF

I would say that the 20 fish per day is not over but they certainly do last as long as it used to. Not too many years ago you could catch them from April straight to middle July pretty regular. In the past few years, when the weather cooperates, the bite is not consistent once June runs around.

I have often wondered myself how they could stand the pressure that they receive in FL and NC all damn summer long.

It has been years since we pulled back, broke out the spin reels, & bailed on nice fish. Years!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Strutters and nest predators, keep up.

The dolphin ain’t gone. You girls do realize that 180’ isn’t the only place in the world to fish, right?

The oceans are being hoovered up like a white line on a hookers ass. I watched a boat at Hatteras unload dolphin on a rolling conveyor for 20 solid minutes. No idea how many. Tiny little Keys looking fish mostly. That isn't a blip on the screen compared to what Asia is doing to our oceans. Hell, they have slaves working boats all over.

There will be lots caught the next good weather day.
    They always show up around April 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now showing up down south in Florida in #'s. Some really big one's being caught also.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

No shit, JAB.

The blue marlin tagged in big rock dropped the tag off the east coast of Africa.

The dolphin and tunas getting purse seined there are our fish too....

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The dolphin ain’t gone. You girls do realize that 180’ isn’t the only place in the world to fish, right?
    SSsshhhhhhh