Thread: Woodworking Shop

Default Woodworking Shop

I recently bought a new house with room for a shop in the basement. I'm looking to set up a hobby woodworking shop to build some builtins etc for the mrs. I've already got a few of the essentials IE miter saw, table saw, hand tools etc but I've been looking into router tables, planers and that type stuff.

I've run across a machine called a Shop Smith Mark V on facebook marketplace and it looks like a great deal, but I've read mixed reviews online. Its an all-in-one bandsaw, drill press, lathe, disc sander, and table saw. I've read across the board the table saw attachment sucks but I've already got a stand alone so I'm not too worried about that. Does anyone have any experience with these machines?

Thanks

I know OF them, but my contention has always been that if it's all wrapped up in one machine, how good can any of it be?

If you are doing built-ins, get yourself a track saw. I bought the Makita last year and wouldn't trade it for anything when it comes to breaking down sheet goods.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

An all in one does all things but none of them well. A dedicated table saw is a must. I second Simple, I will never go without a track saw again. Bandsaw isn’t needed that often. Planer and jointer is very useful, just bite the bullet and get helical heads.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 04-18-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Do like I do and stay just close enough friends with someone that already has all that shit and have them make it for you.

Simple Man/Salty, I do have a kreg accucut track. I'm sure its not quite as good as an actual track saw, but it clips onto any circular saw with a couple set screws and works pretty well

And Tater, I do commercial construction in GA and have a few subs that do some really awesome woodworking, I just like to do things myself. I'm also a little bit of a tool freak and finally have room to set up a shop

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    I recently bought a new house with room for a shop in the basement. I'm looking to set up a hobby woodworking shop to build some builtins etc for the mrs. I've already got a few of the essentials IE miter saw, table saw, hand tools etc but I've been looking into router tables, planers and that type stuff.

I've run across a machine called a Shop Smith Mark V on facebook marketplace and it looks like a great deal, but I've read mixed reviews online. Its an all-in-one bandsaw, drill press, lathe, disc sander, and table saw. I've read across the board the table saw attachment sucks but I've already got a stand alone so I'm not too worried about that. Does anyone have any experience with these machines?

Thanks
    my step dad has a shop smith, not sure what model. Its been collecting dust for 20 years while the single purpose tools do all the work. fwiw.
    Last edited by everlast; 04-18-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Do like I do and stay just close enough friends with someone that already has all that shit and have them make it for you.
    This guy doesn't lie.

Much.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    Simple Man/Salty, I do have a kreg accucut track. I'm sure its not quite as good as an actual track saw, but it clips onto any circular saw with a couple set screws and works pretty well
    I have the Kreg accucut rip track and it is amazing. Kreg just makes good products for inexpensive prices that make it hard to justify buying a freestanding piece of equipment if you arent going to use it regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Solid plan brutha :knucks:

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I have the Kreg accucut rip track and it is amazing. Kreg just makes good products for inexpensive prices that make it hard to justify buying a freestanding piece of equipment if you arent going to use it regular
    Oh. Hey pal! Didn't know you were a woodworker.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Solid

I know you didnt ask, but think hard about installing a dust collection system with hard runs and blast gates. I spent about $800 in my new shop and its worth it.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I know you didnt ask, but think hard about installing a dust collection system with hard runs and blast gates. I spent about $800 in my new shop and its worth it.
    I had planned to do this when we built the house, but never got it done because I started traveling 100+K miles/year and I've regretted it ever since.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'