Thread: Plant ID Help

Default Plant ID Help

Hey y'all. Been browsing this site while i've been working on habitat on a seasonal blackwater swamp and y'all have been generally helpful and given lots of good ideas for food plots/property management. As y'all can see from the username I need help ID'ing plants. Can anyone ID the plants in this picture? I think the leafy green one is lance-leaf water plantain. No idea on the small purple leave one. I can tell you that the purple one is present perennially, while the green leaved one is more noticeable when it starts to warm up.

If these plants aren't of value to birds I'm thinking of removing them and to clear room for smartweed and/or jap/chiwapa millet. The property typically dries out some in the summer, to the point where those plants are is usually moist soil which sometimes dries to the point of cracking. I have no ability to do any kind of water control. Any other recommendations aside from golden dekes would be appreciated.

Swamp plants.jpg

Can you provide a closer picture of both plant’s leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The darker one looks like gypsy merkin

The green emergent appears to be potamogeton sp (too early to define which)

And the submersed reddish appears to be bacopa sp (again too early to define which)

You’re issue is you have no flow (seasonal wetland) so I would be cautious of what herbicides I would use.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Green swamp plant.jpg

purple swamp plant.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plantquestions; 04-16-2022 at 02:06 PM.

I’m certainly no expert on plants, but in the upper section of the last picture the green leaves on the stalks looks like it may be River Cane… (?)
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

There are apps that tells you the plant. You just use your phone camera and the app will tell you the plant. I used one app before but can't remember the name. You can search for plant ID app and you will see load of results.
    Bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

The app I have identifies it as swamp dock for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    There are apps that tells you the plant. You just use your phone camera and the app will tell you the plant. I used one app before but can't remember the name. You can search for plant ID app and you will see load of results.
    Picture This is what I use

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Picture This is what I use

Also what I used to identify it above although I don’t know if it’s accurate.

thank y'all for the opinions. I tried using the INaturalist app but it was not helpful. Also tried reverse searching the image on google which turned up nothin useful