Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flushing a tankless water heater

Default Flushing a tankless water heater

I procrastinated long enough and decided to flush the tank before it crapped out on me. Also gave me another reason to buy another Ryobi tool. Never done it before but i would assume i removed a decent amount of build up due to the color change in the vinegar. It still blows my mind how helpful YouTube is and yet so many people are willing to pay a “professional”.
    46304AFB-9FEB-40CB-AF91-D4839FD88FAD.jpg
    6D20D4A8-C905-4AA5-8954-0F94354348FF.jpg
    F4C371EA-41A4-4058-9469-B31426D12E0B.jpg
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I need to do that bad
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I need to do that bad
    Main reason i posted it. It is super easy and says it can extend the life of the heater to 20 years if done every 12-18 months.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I just recently got a tankless. I’ve never heard of this before so give me the cliff notes if you don’t mind.

Depending on water hardness and use, scaling will build up and if it isn’t flushed out every year or so the life of the heater can suffer. You basically just cycle a special solution or white vinegar through the system for about 45 minutes to flush it out. YouTube can walk you through it in minutes. I hadn’t heard about it either until a friend at work said he had to replace one because of the build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I need to do that bad
    You may need to flush your whole house with the trouble you have had.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Link us to that Youtube vid please, Sir. I put together a TV mount earlier. Without YT, I would have thrown it in the trash in under 5 minutes. They don't even attempt to make any sense in the directions supplied anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Main reason i posted it. It is super easy and says it can extend the life of the heater to 20 years if done every 12-18 months.
    If not done every 12-18 mths as recommended then your warranty may be void.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Link us to that Youtube vid please, Sir. I put together a TV mount earlier. Without YT, I would have thrown it in the trash in under 5 minutes. They don't even attempt to make any sense in the directions supplied anymore...

Try this.

Just went out and looked at mine. Better have a can of wasp spray with you if it hasn’t been done before.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I need to do this as well and this reminded me to do it now before the attic gets crazy hot.

Our house was set up for 2 heaters; one out in the garage for most of the house, then another above our master suite up on the 2nd floor, both tanks. The one upstairs feeds just 2 bathrooms and got replaced a couple years back with a tankless that runs on NG. It's been incredible! Been very pleased.

When the electric tank one in the garage craps out, or when we just decide to break down and spend the money, it'll be replaced with a tankless NG unit. While he was here replacing all the old ones I had the gas guy run a line where the downstairs tank is currently so installing said tankless will be super simple.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

A similar procedure will work with removing salt/scale in an outboard motor, recirculating a vinegar solution through the power head. It is surprising the amount of crud that will come out.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

I just call the plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I need to do this as well and this reminded me to do it now before the attic gets crazy hot.

Our house was set up for 2 heaters; one out in the garage for most of the house, then another above our master suite up on the 2nd floor, both tanks. The one upstairs feeds just 2 bathrooms and got replaced a couple years back with a tankless that runs on NG. It's been incredible! Been very pleased.

When the electric tank one in the garage craps out, or when we just decide to break down and spend the money, it'll be replaced with a tankless NG unit. While he was here replacing all the old ones I had the gas guy run a line where the downstairs tank is currently so installing said tankless will be super simple.

If you're planning on putting a tankless inside you're going to have to change the venting through the roof to a larger diameter. Personally, I would mount it on the exterior wall to avoid that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I just call the plumber.
    It's as easy as connect a couple hoses and plug in a pump. I love flushing them out. Easy money. However if anyone is planning on doing this and it has not been done for 5+ years I would not recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    If you're planning on putting a tankless inside you're going to have to change the venting through the roof to a larger diameter. Personally, I would mount it on the exterior wall to avoid that.

Yup, aware, thanks... the one in the attic of the 2nd story had to be revented. The old vent went upwards thru the roof but if I recall it couldn't be reused because it was metal and wasn't of sufficient diameter. The new vent goes horizontally out the nearby gable, on a side of the house where we hardly ever see it. We'll likely be replacing the roof here in the next few years, so the old vent will be removed and covered over when that happens.

The one in the garage however, does not have to be vented since it's not within heated space, which was good to know and will be a cheaper unit.

Last edited by willyworm; 04-17-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If it's in the garage it needs to be vented. You don't want exhaust from the heater in a closed space.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    It's as easy as connect a couple hoses and plug in a pump. I love flushing them out. Easy money. However if anyone is planning on doing this and it has not been done for 5+ years I would not recommend it.

Why is that?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Well if it has a good layer of scale built up it can actually already have pinholes in the copper heat exchange. If you clean it out there is a stronger chance it will leak.