Thread: New Cast Net

Either this net

Bait Buster Premium Cast Net

or this one

Any first hand knowledge or recommendations in the same price range?
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I have a cracker 8'x 1/2" mesh. It's a great net. I like it much better than my other 7' Bett's super pro. Never handled a Bait Buster but you can't go wrong with a Calusa or Cracker.

Learn the "Calusa method" of net throwing. There's a video demo on their web site. I can open a 10' net throwing it that way.

I don't know whether you're getting one for shrimp or bait fish but anything over 8' is a bitch to dump and untangle unless you've got a crane boom in your boat.

I want a good 3/8" 7' net for the reason you state. I buy a Wally World special every year to load up on herring during the run so I'll have cut bait/chum in the summer.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I'd recomend a Rueben Fripp special. By far one of the best cast nets ever made!
    Cause he\'s thirsty, Dummy

Boon, I've shrimped with the 8' Bait Buster for three years. It is tough!!! I re-tied it once this past fall. I've thrown a Calusa 8' also. Its a little "softer" and probably opens a little bit easier, but it doesn't seem like it would be as durable. If you can throw an 8, you won't notice the difference IMHO.

If I were only throwing into a swimming pool, I'd definitely go with the Calusa.

JP
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Like Boondoggle, I've been throwing a 7' 3/8" WalMart special for the last couple of years. It's fine for menhedan and finger mullet.

I also got a 4' 1/4" cotton net from Cableas that I use for mudminnows. I bait them with the backbones and tails from flounder and trout that I've clean. A couple of accurate throws with this little net and I've filled the livewell with mummies.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A 14' West Coast Net is the only way to go. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wally world has a 12 ft cheap net. For as bad as I tear em up works great. I have thrown a 14 ft mullet net befo. Thats a heavy sum bit. Ifin you get on the fish you can fill yer coolers quick.
    easy livin'

I use a custom built 8' net from SNL Commercial Fishing Supply in Florida. They had the option of going with a leadline(weights inside the line) instead of the typical poly or nylon with the weights on the outside, so I gave it a try. I'd have to say, I've been pretty impressed, it virtually illiminates tangling, and I haven't seen any reduction in performance.