Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovered a problem with TSS that I never considered before...

Default Discovered a problem with TSS that I never considered before...

Just a head's up before you end up having to call on our resident tooth doc...

So, if you look at my spring trip thread, you will notice a dead pig. Upon cleaning that pig, it became obvious that my buddy actually did the fatal damage with his 410 and 9.5 tss. My 12 ga 3.5" copper plated 5s were tucked neatly under the skin and in the fat, but his little tss shot was scattered DEEP.

Fast forward to hanging with my buddies up on the Tugaloo river. My bud thawed out a turkey a friend had given him, and we started cutting it into strips to fry. As we cut, my bud said, "what is up with that?" I looked over, and the breast he was working on had about ten feather tips sticking out. We pulled each one out, and each had a piece of 9.5 tss shot tucked into the fold of the feather that was buried deep into the breast. After 45 minutes of cutting thinner and thinner strips and probing each piece very carefully, Will had extracted well over 20 tiny pieces of TSS and had found some in both breasts. I've never seen anyone work harder to try to remove shot from meat, and toward the end of eating the wonderful meal and long after we'd all let our down our guard, his wife found one he missed and promptly chipped a tooth.

After patterning my 410 at 30 yards, it became obvious that there was no way to shoot one with TSS beyond about 10 yards without some of the pattern getting into the meat. This has never been a problem with the turkey loads I use, as I will occasionally have that "tucked in" feather and may have a flyer or two that will just barely penetrate the breast meat, but with those stray copper plated lead pellets, they are easy to ID, locate, and remove, as the feathers severely slow the momentum and restrict the penetration. With the same density TSS shot being so dang small, they easily penetrate thru the feathers and deep into the meat, and from what we experienced, they will penetrate through the breast bone and into the other side. To make it worse, if they are not tucked into a feather pushed into the meat, they are damn near impossible to locate prior to cooking.

Not sure if you TSS killers have figured out an easy and safe way around this problem, but I figured I'd post this as a PSA before someone figures this out the hard way. Getting that turkey safe to eat was a similar experience to my first and only attempt at cleaning and eating a jackfish.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Chipped tooth on tss is a legit issue.

I use a pinpointer metal detector on ducks to find steel shot. I'll have to check to see if it can detect tungsten. It doesn't do well on lead, at least number 8 shot, but biting into lead is a lot less traumatic than steel.

Tungsten is super hard, I know of two buddies so far that have busted cusps on molars from tss.

Imagine a 3 1/2” 20 yard body shot bird with the pixie dust. 2th might have to start working on Fridays with all the chipped teeth.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Imagine a 3 1/2” 20 yard body shot bird with the pixie dust. 2th might have to start working on Fridays with all the chipped teeth.
    I hate to say it, but I'd throw the meat away on a body-checked TSS turkey.

Shoot a 9s or 8s and you'll get mostly pass throughs

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Shoot a 9s or 8s and you'll get mostly pass throughs
    Not my experience. My son shot one low on youth weekend with a 20ga and pixie dust 9s. We found a good many pellets in the breast meat and had to chew very carefully

I’ve never had a problem but I’m very thorough when it comes to cleaning the meat. The last 20 or so birds I’ve eaten were shot with #9 TSS.

i load tss 7.5's and its not an issue

My wife chipped a molar on a TSS #9 pellet last week. I grilled tenders from 2 birds, so the pellet was pretty deep. I thought I had thoroughly inspected the meat. She was not pleased.

Body shot birds get sliced and put in pastas or fried.

Head shot 5-10 yard birds get grilled whole breast and sliced for sandwiches and or turkey salad.

I dont mess with legs on the body shot birds. Too much risk. I've considered a metal detector too. Just havent gotten deep enough down the rabbit hole to find one.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

And....I know where I am going for lunch today.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-volt...and-94138.html
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I just thought my wife was bad about overthinking shit......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

What is fun when traveling to mash Skulls, the TSA folks get all gunched up about frozen turkey meat in your carry on. Nice to see the free XRay of your turkey breasts.. helps to know how many pellets you need to dig out. (if any)..

It's definitely a good plan to let the birds get closer and shoot for the neck/ head if you shoot TSS. Fellas that are just now discovering this , don't shoot many turkeys.. ( just sayin)
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I too have a cracked tooth from TSS

I just chew more carefully now
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Not sure if it's sensitive enough to detect tungsten 9 shot in a turkey breast but my Garrett pinpointer does alert from a distance on the big chuck of tungsten I had in my toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Not sure if it's sensitive enough to detect tungsten 9 shot in a turkey breast but my Garrett pinpointer does alert from a distance on the big chuck of tungsten I had in my toolbox.
    Would love to know for sure if those pinpointers work. I always slice mine 1” strips and fry, so if it picks up tungsten, I’m betting it’ll work. Please post results if you get the chance to try it out on a breast. I’ll be taking my two young boys and their mom this year, and they will be shooting the 410 with tss. Pretty sure there will be at least a few pellets in breast meat if I can get a bird on the bead for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Would love to know for sure if those pinpointers work. I always slice mine 1” strips and fry, so if it picks up tungsten, I’m betting it’ll work. Please post results if you get the chance to try it out on a breast. I’ll be taking my two young boys and their mom this year, and they will be shooting the 410 with tss. Pretty sure there will be at least a few pellets in breast meat if I can get a bird on the bead for them.
    OK. I cut a tiny chunk of tungsten from the piece of barstock I have. I figure it was about the size of a birdshot pellet though not round and the Garrett would not alert even with it openly in my palm. Sadly, tungsten is not magnetic either so a super strong rare earth magnet wouldn't help either. Unless you have access to an X-ray machine, you're just going to have to chew very carefully.

For myself, that would be reason enough to quit using it. Killing a turkey isn't worth a tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I just thought my wife was bad about overthinking shit......
    My thoughts exactly.