Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovered a problem with TSS that I never considered before...

Silent majority is strong on this one. Great Dow! Get what you can out while cleaning. It's part of eating wild game.

Bumping this thread to see if there's any new developments for locating tss in birds
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I just thought my wife was bad about overthinking shit......
    this may be a new low...

ok people. you do realize how that shot gets in there, right? like a tiny little bloody pathway. maybe check at the end of the path. if it aint there, it came out the other side.

I dont wear snake boots, practice with a compound bow, or inspect turkeys for pellets.
    Maybe I need to start paying more attention like I have nothing better to worry about.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this may be a new low...

ok people. you do realize how that shot gets in there, right? like a tiny little bloody pathway. maybe check at the end of the path. if it aint there, it came out the other side.

I dont wear snake boots, practice with a compound bow, or inspect turkeys for pellets.
    Maybe I need to start paying more attention like I have nothing better to worry about.
    I'm curious to know if the folks (usual suspects) that are giving me and others seriously discussing this issue grief have ever actually killed turkeys with TSS 9s and attempted to dig all the pellets out? I'm less curious about whether or not they'd admit that they have not or if they will post up after having to have post-turkey dinner dental work done, because I'm nearly certain they will not.

My point on this is and has been based on a fairly simple concept...It's really easy to punch a wad of TSS deep into a turkeys breast meat on a 25+ yard shot even when center of the pattern is center of the head. With lead 4s, 5s, and 6s, you will have exponentially less pellets hitting the breast area on the same well placed shot, and the shot that does hit the body penetrates less, is a hell of a lot easier to find and dig out, and is far more forgiving on the teeth should one make it through the cleaning process and into the grease.

Lastly...I've spent hours trying to dig river cane arrows out of a round bale that my relatively slow self-bow deposited well beyond the fletchings in "soft spots" in the bale. There are some arrows that have been out there for years rotting inside the f'n bale despite me knowing within an inch or two where the arrow entered; digging every TSS 9 out of a turkey breast makes that look like child's play. I've got better things to do with my time and better ways to waste it as well.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I'm curious to know if the folks (usual suspects) that are giving me and others seriously discussing this issue grief have ever actually killed turkeys with TSS 9s and attempted to dig all the pellets out? I'm less curious about whether or not they'd admit that they have not or if they will post up after having to have post-turkey dinner dental work done, because I'm nearly certain they will not.

My point on this is and has been based on a fairly simple concept...It's really easy to punch a wad of TSS deep into a turkeys breast meat on a 25+ yard shot even when center of the pattern is center of the head. With lead 4s, 5s, and 6s, you will have exponentially less pellets hitting the breast area on the same well placed shot, and the shot that does hit the body penetrates less, is a hell of a lot easier to find and dig out, and is far more forgiving on the teeth should one make it through the cleaning process and into the grease.

Lastly...I've spent hours trying to dig river cane arrows out of a round bale that my relatively slow self-bow deposited well beyond the fletchings in "soft spots" in the bale. There are some arrows that have been out there for years rotting inside the f'n bale despite me knowing within an inch or two where the arrow entered; digging every TSS 9 out of a turkey breast makes that look like child's play. I've got better things to do with my time and better ways to waste it as well.
    maybe you should just give up on the tss and use those cane arrows on the turkeys. Kill two birds with one stone. No broken teeth and plenty of material for a turkey hunt story

i think you need to shoot more paper and change chokes and find one a little tighter and use a red dot scope and shoot them in the head at 65 steps.

or try the arrow deal. DDS has a point...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If I had to kill a turkey with a bow and arrow to survive, I'd likely starve. If that bow was a traditional or primitive bow, I'd definitely starve. Once I get bored with killing deer and other relatively easy to kill critters with my primitive gear, I might entertain trying to notch a primitive turkey kill...so don't hold your breath. I shoot them with copper plated #5 lead. It kills them doorknob-dead if I have it on them when I pull the trigger. I spend a few minutes digging a couple of pellets out before putting the meat in a zip-loc baggie and freezing. We occasionally find a pellet in a piece of fried meat when we are eating them. We haven't had to visit the dentist due to pellet vs tootth trauma...YET. And when and if we do, I'll use some of the thousands saved on shells to pay for it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 05-03-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    If I had to kill a turkey with a bow and arrow to survive, I'd likely starve. If that bow was a traditional or primitive bow, I'd definitely starve. Once I get bored with killing deer and other relatively easy to kill critters with my primitive gear, I might entertain trying to notch a primitive turkey kill...so don't hold your breath. I shoot them with copper plated #5 lead. It kills them doorknob-dead if I have it on them when I pull the trigger. I spend a few minutes digging a couple of pellets out before putting the meat in a zip-loc baggie and freezing. We occasionally find a pellet in a piece of fried meat when we are eating them. We haven't had to visit the dentist due to pellet vs tootth trauma...YET. And when and if we do, I'll use some of the thousands saved on shells to pay for it.
    You ain't shooting that many turkeys.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

WWD, You might save tens of dollars.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    WWD, You might save tens of dollars.
    Hyperbole is King!

I've got one of those pellet detector thingies at home as well as some tungsten shot of varying densities, but none of it is cool enough to be TSS. I'll let everyone know the result of my research.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Oh and sorry to hear about the damaged tooths.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft