Thread: Warped Tin Wrapped Lugs

Default Warped Tin Wrapped Lugs

Are the dumbest things ever.

Went to go change the wife's brakes yesterday...

Those fancy color matched tin wrapped lugs have been chewed up by 10 years of impact wrenches. Supposed to be a 21mm and they've been twisted to 22 and 23 and some I cant even get off.

Any tips to getting one budge like this? Already ordered new lugs.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 04-11-2022 at 02:49 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Heat.

I want to avoid damaging the wheels. They're aluminum. Chisel is off the table too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

In the same boat. If I had a flat while driving id be screwed. Couldnt get wheel off. Ford?

Drive the next size down socket on with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    Drive the next size down socket on with a hammer.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    In the same boat. If I had a flat while driving id be screwed. Couldnt get wheel off. Ford?
    Toyota.

Considered the smaller size socket, but didnt want to take a chance and and knock the studs out.

Wring that bitch off then and put a new stud in. Easy.

I ran into this same problem a few years back. I literally had to hammer an old socket onto the lugs, remove them, then hammer the lug back out of the socket. Removing 4 tires turned into an all day event.

This. Or wring off the tin covers and get to the steel nut under it. Had the same problem with boat trailer lugs and it didn’t take much to man handle the tin covers off.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gator-Gr...120A/100351756

The correct answer is take it to KRT.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Gorilla lugs
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    I ran into this same problem a few years back. I literally had to hammer an old socket onto the lugs, remove them, then hammer the lug back out of the socket. Removing 4 tires turned into an all day event.
    This

Run into daily esp with Fords. We keep replacements in stock that do not have the aluminum cover.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Yep! My last 2 trucks have had a case of swollen nuts. Hammer a 4 way lug wrench onto lug nut to break loose. Much easier to remove the 4 way while the nut is still on the lug than hammering out of a socket. Have a replacement set in hand before attempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I had a boat trailer with severely rusted lug nuts with no flats at all. I had to cut the nuts with an angle grinder cutoff wheel right down the sides of the bolt, right at the top of the threads so it left me with two big flats I could get a wrench on. Exposing the tops of the threads also helped get penetrating fluid where it needed to be.