Thread: Ford F150 Excess Oil Consumption

Default Ford F150 Excess Oil Consumption

Hail call to KRT or any other mechanics on the site.

Took my 2019 5.0 F150 in to be serviced due to check engine light coming on. Dealer is telling me that truck was 3 quarts low and are advising that I should change oil/filter and get them to do a powertrain module repogramming. Says that this should remedy the excess oil being pulled into crankcase and running low. Running fully synthetic oil and last got changed 3k miles ago so maintenance is not an issue.

Is excess oil consumption a known problem with these trucks? Of course I'm 2k miles over the warranty so this is all on my dime. What are my options here? Hope and pray that this PCM reprograming works?
    Last edited by ziggy; 04-11-2022 at 02:02 PM.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

just googled this and this is apparently a very well know problem with these trucks. huge class action lawsuit ongoing about it.

ford wins again...
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Known problem on 18-20 5.0 trucks. Do the reprogram and I believe there is a tsb on the dipstick also. Some trucks were being overfilled and causing this. But it’s been argued it’s a cylinder lining problem as well.

Lots of info on the forums and YouTube on this. Hope you can get it worked out.

I had the same issue along with the “valve tap” sound which seemed to get worse as miles racked up. I was told by two places it was normal for a 2019 5.0.

I sold it a month ago. I’m not a mechanic but that ain’t normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk