Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sunday Hunting Update, Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Hippie ass hipsters just want to wear their trendy camo and web belts an extra day a week.
    As if having another day to look cool and dashing in my "kit" is a bad thing?

What web belt are you running these days Glenn?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What web belt are you running these days Glenn?
    I jog one made by Mountain khaki.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post

Animals need a day of rest
    Possibly the silliest of all 3 arguments. All Sunday hunting will do is likely spread out some of the Saturday pressure to Sundays.
    It's hard for me to see the validity of this argument.

For those supporting, would YOUR total days afield in a season increase if the bill was passed?

Or would YOU spread your pressure more evenly to match previous years when you could only hunt Saturdays on a weekend?

My point being:
    The hardcore killers ARE going to kill more with an expanded opportunity. That's a fact. Killers won't take Sundays off if the door is open, and surely wont "spread pressure more evenly".

The average joe can continue to bumble around the woods on a Sunday and support your argument of "spreading out the pressure"

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Can you be a conservative and also believe in public ownership of vast swaths of the land, and the public hunting that comes with it?
    you mean govt ownership
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

For those supporting, would YOUR total days afield in a season increase if the bill was passed?

Or would YOU spread your pressure more evenly to match previous years when you could only hunt Saturdays on a weekend?

My point being:
    The hardcore killers ARE going to kill more with an expanded opportunity. That's a fact. Killers won't take Sundays off if the door is open, and surely wont "spread pressure more evenly".

The average joe can continue to bumble around the woods on a Sunday and support your argument of "spreading out the pressure"
    You sound like Rachael Maddow. How many "killers" do you know? You're speaking in generalities and fear mongering.

Which state that has repealed the Sunday hunting ban has suffered this crippling increase of pressure and has had to enact measures to combat the increased harvest rates from your "killers"?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Oh there's plenty. You probably know many, if you aren't one yourself.

Would your days afield increase in a season if you had the opportunity to hunt Sundays?

And to clarify, my argument is coming solely from a turkey conservation standpoint. I could give a rat's ass about deer. Shoot them any day of the week, I see no issue with hunting them on Sundays, open it up.

But for turkeys, the success rate increases with back to back days of hunting. How many have wished you could hunt one on Sunday after hunting all day Saturday, coming close, roosting him that night and then throwing your hat knowing that you won't be able to hunt him the next morning? That bird lived to see another day (literally) and has a little greater chance to survive into the next week when you come back Monday or the following weekend and have to start the game all over.

Turkeys don't need two back to back days from the hardcore weekend warrior crowd.

My point being:

Killers can only kill what the harvest limit is whether they hunt 5 days or 50 days. Theses so called killers are already killing their limits each year. Increasing days available aint' gonna make a difference to all the hardcore "killers" out there.

And to clarify, my argument is coming solely from a turkey conservation standpoint. I could give a rat's ass about deer. Shoot them any day of the week, I see no issue with hunting them on Sundays, open it up.

But for turkeys, the success rate increases with back to back days of hunting. How many have wished you could hunt one on Sunday after hunting all day Saturday, coming close, roosting him that night and then throwing your hat knowing that you won't be able to hunt him the next morning? That bird lived to see another day (literally) and has a little greater chance to survive into the next week when you come back Monday or the following weekend and have to start the game all over.

Turkeys don't need two back to back days from the hardcore weekend warrior crowd.
    Every WMA I hunt has specific days outlined for turkeys and have quantity restrictions.

A killer is going to kill his limit irrespective of Sunday limitations or no. The take limit on turkeys will be reduced again and species specific restrictions can be issued by the biologists, (not the armchair variety that inhabit the statehouse) to address any species specific issues.

I say with no amount of sarcasm whatsoever that you would be hard pressed, if it is even possible, to find a worse public land experience for turkey hunting in the entire United States than SC public land. So I do share your concern. However, if limiting pressure is the solution for you then your logic would have to follow that as populations continue to decrease we'd also have to close Saturdays, then Fridays as well.

There are so many debated reasons for the turkey decline and I don't want to get off into a tangent, but every state in the Southeast is seeing a decline in population. All of those states still have better turkey numbers than SC does and they allow Sunday hunting. So it's hard to convince me that Sunday hunting will be the reason things get worse.

We have piss poor management practices here, that's why SC public land is poorer than surrounding state's public land for literally every single game animal. The only thriving animal populations we have on public land are hogs and coyotes. Thinking a ban on Sunday hunting is saving what little we have is like thinking a band-aid is going to save someone with a stab wound in the chest. I take full credit for that analogy because I made it up, so don't go saying it like it's yours!

How many Sundays have I wished I could hunt? Just about every Sunday, after church.

Deer hunting >Turkey hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I say with no amount of sarcasm whatsoever that you would be hard pressed, if it is even possible, to find a worse public land experience for turkey hunting in the entire United States than SC public land. So I do share your concern. However, if limiting pressure is the solution for you then your logic would have to follow that as populations continue to decrease we'd also have to close Saturdays, then Fridays as well.

There are so many debated reasons for the turkey decline and I don't want to get off into a tangent, but every state in the Southeast is seeing a decline in population. All of those states still have better turkey numbers than SC does and they allow Sunday hunting. So it's hard to convince me that Sunday hunting will be the reason things get worse.

We have piss poor management practices here, that's why SC public land is poorer than surrounding state's public land for literally every single game animal. The only thriving animal populations we have on public land are hogs and coyotes. Thinking a ban on Sunday hunting is saving what little we have is like thinking a band-aid is going to save someone with a stab wound in the chest. I take full credit for that analogy because I made it up, so don't go saying it like it's yours!

How many Sundays have I wished I could hunt? Just about every Sunday, after church.
    what other states have you hunted turkey on public land?

i hunt public 5 days a week i’m not sure i can agree with your statement.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    No matter how good lookin you are.
    No matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    As if having another day to look cool and dashing in my "kit" is a bad thing?

It took me a bit.. but I still have it saved

Screenshot_20210601-180628_Messages.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    what other states have you hunted turkey on public land?

i hunt public 5 days a week i’m not sure i can agree with your statement.
    Alabama, Tennessee, Minnesota, Wisconsin. All far, far better. All of them allow Sunday hunting.