Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hippies, Liberals, and…

Default Hippies, Liberals, and…

One less gobbler. That’s what California has.

As an FYI, that tree is a Valley Oak abt 2 hours NW of Sacramento. In 1984 150’ was taken out of the top of it, as it is next to a house. At that time it was 27’ in circumference 3’ above the ground, and estimated to be over 600 years old.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

That’s a cool tree. Nice turkey bird. You going for the every state killing a bird thingy?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Default Hippies, Liberals, and…

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    That’s a cool tree. Nice turkey bird. You going for the every state killing a bird thingy?
    No sir. I can see it being something that I get close enough to in my life time that I may try to finish it. I’m here on business and it’s the first week of April. I needed a fix. A work colleague has a family ranch and invited me.

If my son or daughter wanted to get serious about it down the road, and I got close enough for it to make sense, maybe. I have a pile of respect for those that have done it, but I want to hunt the places I want to hunt.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 04-03-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Nice bird

Nice work!

Nice one

Congratulations on a beautiful bird

Congrats. I’m more interested in the tree. Love to see some more pics of it. Like the Champion Oak in Georgetown or Angel Oak in John’s Island I think it is.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Congratulations.damn that's a big tree
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Good stuff Bubba!

Well thought out title, nice bird, beautiful country, opportunistic and perfectly matching camo - A+
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Great picture and story.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was John Eubanks. Reckon he could hang his toenails in that oak and make his way towards the top?

Player, Player, Good thinking to line up a work trip during Turkey season. Way to use your Noggin....

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on airline tickets to Cali twice to hunt birds.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

That is a hell of an oak right there. Congrats on the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've been really close to pulling the trigger on airline tickets to Cali twice to hunt birds.
    Make sure you research the licensing stuff. There is an online hunter safety course that you have to take, and it takes a couple of days to get certified.

It was the heaviest turkey I think I’ve ever killed at 23.5 lbs. Most rios look big because of the fan coloration, then when you cut the fan off, they are really small. This one is full grown. Was very cool to watch him strut all the way to me with that big umbrella behind him. He deserved better than to die at the hands of a benelli nova, but any port in a storm. I wish I had more time to hunt out here. it is some beautiful country, and when you get away from the cities, these are some damn fine God fearing folks. My host and a buddy of his reintroduced turkeys to that valley 45 years ago, and we could hear gobbling from at least 6 roosts in the head of the valley. He was certainly proud of that. There were no less than 25 longbeards roosted in a single oak in his yard. Watching them fly down was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Make sure you research the licensing stuff. There is an online hunter safety course that you have to take, and it takes a couple of days to get certified.
    Oof...Had tickets to San Fran last year. I didnt see that requirement on the website and even called them to check license requirements. Didnt hear anything about that.

I was checking my baggage at Charlotte and in a total rookie move, I had my ammo in a ziplock. I had just an hour to get through the gate before boarding and the handling lady wouldnt accept it. I had to have them in a box. I had no box. I could leave the terminal, get back to the truck and go get a box from Cabelas but I'd miss my flight. Just wrote the trip off. I'd have been pretty mad if I had made the flight and booked a rental and all that noise and ended up having to either go rogue or not hunt.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Nice shootin', Tex!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Oof...Had tickets to San Fran last year. I didnt see that requirement on the website and even called them to check license requirements. Didnt hear anything about that.

I was checking my baggage at Charlotte and in a total rookie move, I had my ammo in a ziplock. I had just an hour to get through the gate before boarding and the handling lady wouldnt accept it. I had to have them in a box. I had no box. I could leave the terminal, get back to the truck and go get a box from Cabelas but I'd miss my flight. Just wrote the trip off. I'd have been pretty mad if I had made the flight and booked a rental and all that noise and ended up having to either go rogue or not hunt.
    TSA rules regarding ammo and guns all depend on the agent. Trust me, I know the rules, but I have had agents tell me a million different things. I have never had them require that they be in a factory box, even though I know that is the rule. I have had them make me put them in the gun case, even though that is expressly prohibited. Bottom line is that it is a crapshoot. Flying home from Maine once, we had killed 3 turkeys that morning and I had thoroughly enjoyed myself, to say the least. I was concerned because it was Boston. That lady would’ve let me take the loaded gun on the plane. She didn’t know the rules, or care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    TSA rules regarding ammo and guns all depend on the agent. Trust me, I know the rules, but I have had agents tell me a million different things. I have never had them require that they be in a factory box, even though I know that is the rule. I have had them make me put them in the gun case, even though that is expressly prohibited. Bottom line is that it is a crapshoot. Flying home from Maine once, we had killed 3 turkeys that morning and I had thoroughly enjoyed myself, to say the least. I was concerned because it was Boston. That lady would’ve let me take the loaded gun on the plane. She didn’t know the rules, or care about them.
    Every time I travel with a gun the experience is a little different. Recent texas turkey trip was different in charlotte than it was San Antonio. However, both places made sure ammo was in boxes designed to store ammo in the case with the guns. I assume we could have put ammo in checked luggage but have always put ammo in factory boxes in he case with the guns and never had a problem

Edited after some research:
    - must be in a container designed to store ammo and completely enclose the ammo
    - can be in case with unloaded firearm or other checked baggage

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
    Last edited by ShortMagFan; 04-04-2022 at 10:01 AM.