Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWD In NC…

Prions suck...

Well.. at least have ducks… I mean quail…. I meant golf.

Ugh.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Think we will finally see the end of corn piles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Corn prices might do that this year.

We all knew it was just a matter of time before CWD closed in. Chances are it is in SC and we just don’t know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Corn prices might do that this year.
    All that free meat though...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    All that free meat though...
    Yeah - it's about as cheap as free offshore fish, per pound.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Corn piles, feeders and salt/mineral stations will be the first to go I think.

Yep. Should not change upstate hunter much just back to the old way.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Corn piles, feeders and salt/mineral stations will be the first to go I think.
    Has that been the reaction in other states that have dealt with this, or do you think that there will be a fedguv push for wider restrictions?

Guess we are gonna have to walk though the woods and cut down all the licking branches
    Last edited by darealdeal; 04-01-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Guess we are gonna have to walk though the woods and cut down all the licking branches
    They found prions in the dirt of a holding pen years after the quarantined animals were euthanized, I believe in Wyoming. No quick fixes with this one.

I know one state that has a bait ban in place only in affected regions due to CWD and it has been in place for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Has that been the reaction in other states that have dealt with this, or do you think that there will be a fedguv push for wider restrictions?
    It's been mixed from what I can find. Some states go scorched earth in the positive area and surrounding areas with bonus CWD tags/seasons and some eliminate un natural gathering spots like bait stations and mineral licks/troughs.

There's a fed bill to fund CWD research with a call for federal involvement. Makes me kind of twitchy. I believe more research is definitely needed but any time uncle sugar gets involved the fecal level rises exponentially. I want resources managed at the state level. We start getting feds involved with America's most hunted game species and no telling what we'll wind up with.

The funky part is CWD is a real disease. Of that there is zero doubt. But there is tremendous debate on how it is and will effect our deer herds long term. It has a long incubation period. Young bucks with a wider home range and displacement tend to be the biggest spreaders. Even in CWD hot zones there has been no noticeable change in population despite increased harvest. But what has been seen is a change in age class. A deer infected at birth day 1 most likely won't start showing symptoms until 2-3 years of age. So positive asymptomatic deer can still breed. But once they show symptoms they aren't long for this world. Still lots to learn about it and the long term effects though.

It's been mixed from what I can find. Some states go scorched earth in the positive area and surrounding areas with bonus CWD tags/seasons and some eliminate un natural gathering spots like bait stations and mineral licks/troughs.

There's a fed bill to fund CWD research with a call for federal involvement. Makes me kind of twitchy. I believe more research is definitely needed but any time uncle sugar gets involved the fecal level rises exponentially. I want resources managed at the state level. We start getting feds involved with America's most hunted game species and no telling what we'll wind up with.

The funky part is CWD is a real disease. Of that there is zero doubt. But there is tremendous debate on how it is and will effect our deer herds long term. It has a long incubation period. Young bucks with a wider home range and displacement tend to be the biggest spreaders. Even in CWD hot zones there has been no noticeable change in population despite increased harvest. But what has been seen is a change in age class. A deer infected at birth day 1 most likely won't start showing symptoms until 2-3 years of age. So positive asymptomatic deer can still breed. But once they show symptoms they aren't long for this world. Still lots to learn about it and the long term effects though.
    Shouldn't be much of a problem here then. Most deer are between 2 and 3 years of age. So we should be fine! Lol
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I want resources managed at the state level.
    Even when they've managed to consistently fuck it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Even when they've managed to consistently fuck it up?
    Better than the feds, who have no knowledge of the state, its resources, traditional use practices etc.

State DNR agencies aren't perfect for sure. But at least most still know or at least pretend to know that hunters are the one management tool they have at their disposal that doesn't cost them money and actually makes them money. Feds don't/won't care and will use every act, law, regulation in their power to take hunting out of any management equation.

I give you the wolf and grizzly as examples.
    Last edited by Glenn; 04-01-2022 at 09:33 AM.