Thread: Hackathon to determine number of corn ponds

Default Hackathon to determine number of corn ponds

Thought this was interesting considering Tooths comment about it not being corn ponds.

Using "spectral wavelength satellite imagery" to determine the number of unharvested, flooded corn fields for waterfowl. Gotta wonder if the Southern advocates for corn ponds feel cheated as more corn ponds North of the Mason Dixon line are being built. This will be cool to know, especially when million dollar duck operations here in SC had hunts where folks didn't fire the gun.

"Cohen Wildlife Lab
    March 28 at 5:13 PM ·
    We know that planting and flooding corn for ducks is a popular and sometimes controversial management tool. But the collective waterfowl science and management community has no idea how many acres of unharvested flooded corn exists in Tennessee or in the Mississippi River Valley. Over the past weekend, we hosted a "Hackathon", which was basically a three-day non-stop computer coding competition. The goal? To detect unharvested flooded corn fields using satellite imagery. In collaboration with the Data Science League and the Computer Science Department at Tennessee Tech, this competition attracted students from Computer Science, Data Analytics, and Civil and Environmental Engineering majors, all with the combined goal of finding duck corn using their computers!! Nowadays, these interdisciplinary collaborations are necessary to solve more complex issues in wildlife science and management. #duckscience #tnmallardproject #computerscience Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency"

https://www.facebook.com/cohenwildlab
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

While I think I would like to see all corn ponds go away, replaced by natural food sources if the owners chose to do so. Are there any positive effects from these corn palaces that we are neglecting to acknowledge?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

#nerds

I like it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

for clarification once again, I am saying its not ONLY corn ponds that is to blame for the decline in eastern flyway mallards.
    keep your minds open.
    watch where the tagged mallards go.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Start at the 43 minute mark.

Glad to hear Tennessee Tech is ahead of the Billion Dollar funded orgs. Maybe they will be forced into diverting some funding outside of habitat and more habitat...

Imagine that.... Create more and add some rotation to the safe areas.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965