Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some 'Septic System/Septic Field Expertise'

Default Need some 'Septic System/Septic Field Expertise'

First, I'd really like to have an in-depth chat with someone who knows the ins-and-outs of septic drain fields (1994 vintage), possible repair tips, and also the current technology if I need to put a new field in (have one put in).

I've got drawings, pics, and have already sunk some test holes for investigation of the existing field performance.

Would also appreciate some recommendations for septic field repair/installation contractors in the Anderson/Williamston/Belton/Easley areas (who are not named 'Doug'). They need to be trustworthy and good for their word... and reasonably priced.

Btw, the tank itself is working just fine. The issue is in the drainage field.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-29-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If you flushed your bugle down the toilet you need a plumber. Not a new drain field

I would call a septic tank company first to make sure it's your drain fields. Ask me how I know
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    If you flushed your bugle down the toilet you need a plumber. Not a new drain field
    Threads like this are for adults, sonny. Go discuss men’s underwear or something. You’ll need the info when you stop wearing diapers… some day.
    ~ George Washington

The only folks I know that I trust. They're out of Newberry, not sure where you are.

https://www.brigmanseptictankservice.com/
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

you need a pit….if you can operate equipment it’s real easy

here’s what i did

dug trench from tank to knew pit area preferably downhill of old drainfield and install 4 inch pvc pipe from
    the top of tank to the pit. the pipe obviously needs fall…dig pit down until you get below red clay if your in the upstate, dig a hole that will hold at least 40 tons of crushed concrete #5. Place outlet pipe out into the stone put another foot or two of stone. cover with non woven fabric and cover with 2 feet of dirt.

it won’t ever fill up with water if done correctly
    Windows Down!

Sent you a text
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

What cajun said. Lee and daniel are good people and known them for years. They are the best
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

+5 for reference to said Rexcraft. Carry on.

DRDUCK, my septic tank guy agreed with me that the tank is fine. The issue is in the field somewhere... or all of it, don't know.

cajunwannabe, thanks for the name and link. I'll keep them in mind. I'm up North of Anderson so it would be a bit out of there normal area.

Duck cutter, got your PM. Thanks.

raybird, it may come to that. I'll keep your design in mind, just not sure I have the room below the lower field pipe before the next tier drops off. Will need to poke some holes there to also see what kind of ground I have in that area. I should have enough drainage height, but never had it checked for perking below the back yard tier (have 6-7 tiers on the property).

Thanks, guys.
    ~ George Washington

I dug that pit and did the stone route per several septic men. Another septic man drives up and ask why, his reasoning not to did make sense. Said you have that 20oz Gatorade bottle right there, holds 20 oz. No now fill it up with ice, how much does it hold? That's why we are going to those half black pipe thingys.
    I will say mine has worked so far.
    Last edited by mudflat; 03-29-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    Low country redneck who moved north

100 foot of infiltrator, and be done. The plastic half moon mentioned by mudflat.

And the Home Depot mini excavator will take almost a half day to dig a 10*10*10 pit if try it yourself.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I dug that pit and did the stone route per several septic men. Another septic man drives up and ask why, his reasoning not to did make sense. Said you have that 20oz Gatorade bottle right there, holds 20 oz. No now fill it up with ice, how much does it hold? That's why we are going to those half black pipe thingys.
    I can see that reasoning. I just talked to a septic system contractor recommended to me by a member here. He was explaining these new fangled gizmo systems vs what I've got (black perf pipe and #57 stone), so I need to do some research and see what it's all about. It sure sounds like a vast improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    100 foot of infiltrator, and be done. The plastic half moon mentioned by mudflat.
    I think you're right.

And the Home Depot mini excavator will take almost a half day to dig a 10*10*10 pit if try it yourself.
    If'n I dreamt of doing all of this myself, I think I'd borrow my neighbors backhoe if I could. Those mini-excavators would have been handy this past week for digging the emergency trench, but not for anything much bigger, for sure.

Thanks, again!
    ~ George Washington

all i know is that you are gonna get a good deal.

or die trying.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

BTW- i hired a consultant to tell me what to do.

the worst thing i was told was to use those half moon infiltrator.

basically a pit is nothing but a giant french drain.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I can see that reasoning. I just talked to a septic system contractor recommended to me by a member here. He was explaining these new fangled gizmo systems vs what I've got (black perf pipe and #57 stone), so I need to do some research and see what it's all about. It sure sounds like a vast improvement.
    !
    Brian?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The infiltrator and/or similar product are very good.

your did the correct fix.

water needs surface area to both soak in and evaporate. the stone both filters and evenly distributes the water so it can be more easily absorbed
    Windows Down!

all i know is that you are gonna get a good deal.

or die trying.
    Don't worry yourself, toofer. I won't 'die trying' to get a good deal. I'm just tired of running into "used car salespeople, Pharma-owned doctors, and SOB's who decide to play games with you if you won't stop your dinner hour to meet with them when they show up at 5PM on a Sunday evening.

I believe in paying a fair price for quality and honesty. If either of those are missing, something needs to offset that. Capiche?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-30-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    ~ George Washington