Thread: Upstate Fire warning

Default Upstate Fire warning

Dry and windy conditions over the weekend have prompted a fire weather alert for all Upstate counties from the National Weather Service.

The alert issued Friday said the expected conditions will create a "critical fire danger.'

On Saturday, gusty winds are expected to develop and combine with a dry air mass, creating dangerous conditions, officials said.

Because of that, the NWS in Greenville-Spartanburg issued a fire weather watch to be in effect from Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening for wind and low humidity in the Upstate

A fire weather watch means that critical fire weather conditions are forecast, and encourages people who live in the watch area to listen to updated forecasts for possible red flag warnings and burn restrictions.

Winds are expected from the west-northwest ranging from 10-to-20-mph and gusting to 30 mph at times.

With humidity as low as 25%, already low moisture in things that fuel fires, like trees. vegetation and fallen leaves will likely dry out further in the windy conditions.

These conditions can cause outdoor fires to easily grow out of control under, officials said.

In addition to all the Upstate counties, York and Chester counties are also under this fire alert.

Ventilation rate should be good.

We got a ton of rain night before last and it is already dusty. Ready for greenup...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We got a ton of rain night before last and it is already dusty.
    No fear, the pollen will soon cover that dust.

We will be burning Sunday as I suspect many will.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    We will be burning Sunday as I suspect many will.
    Sunday is going to be just as bad I suspect they will extend the ban. With that said I plan on knocking out the last of my burning Sunday and Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

That less than 25% RH and 20-30mph Westerly winds would have me puckered up!

Looks like they are still issuing permits today.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 03-26-2022 at 08:45 AM.

So far it seems like it's starting off pretty dry here in Marlboro county. Also seems like we have had burn bans more than not. Whenever we do get a rain it's soaked in over night so you can tell it's dry. Even last week when we got all that rain and the creeks were roaring, it was all gone within a day or two.

I know a guy burning 150 acres today.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    That less than 25% RH and 20-30mph Westerly winds would have me puckered up!

Looks like they are still issuing permits today.

They can’t not issue permits. And really it’s more of a notification not a permit. They really can’t tell you you can’t burn. However if you burn during a red flag day and your fire gets away from you and you do some damage then you could be in some trouble. Same goes for Category 1 days if you burn during a category 1 and your smoke settles on a highway and causes a wreck then you are responsible.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

All true. I will say though if I burn up something or another or my smoke settles causing a wreck when I burn my insurance carrier is going to need to be put on notice. Red flag would make it even worse for the case though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    They can’t not issue permits. And really it’s more of a notification not a permit. They really can’t tell you you can’t burn. However if you burn during a red flag day and your fire gets away from you and you do some damage then you could be in some trouble. Same goes for Category 1 days if you burn during a category 1 and your smoke settles on a highway and causes a wreck then you are responsible.

I know of several times they said you can’t burn and would not issue a burn number due to unfavorable conditions. It wasn’t me calling or burning, it was a farmer neighbor wanting to burn piles of slash on Category 1 days. Another time they didn’t let him because of wind direction and smoke sensitive area too close down wind.

Maybe the dispatcher just doesn’t like him.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 03-26-2022 at 12:31 PM.

They can refuse the notification but technically speaking can not tell you you can’t burn. If you do and something goes wrong you are in deep shit! It’s generally a good idea to follow their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Sunday is going to be just as bad I suspect they will extend the ban. With that said I plan on knocking out the last of my burning Sunday and Monday

Humidity will be low as much at 15% but there will be little wind from what the fire weather report says.

I've burning debris from the ice storm every weekend for the last month and a half. Probably gonna take a weekend off. I'll spray clover instead.

Marion county is on fire right now

Yep and we got some dumb ass up road shooting bunch of damn fireworks

Red flag and burning bans don't include trailer park trash piles.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-27-2022 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Marion county is on fire right now

Low humidity and high winds may be a little too hot for the pines.

Screenshot_20220327-082533.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-27-2022 at 07:27 AM.