Thread: Billfish

Default Billfish

Was kinda hoping it'd be someone breakin'-down a marlin or sail on camera.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

saw a guy filet a big blue marlin with a chainsaw once.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Saw some deep tanned guys cleaning gar at the boat landing with a battery powered circular saw ... Was getting the job done too..............

When my buddies from scumpter used to come up. We used small live bait rigs on them and had a blast.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Dont care what anybody says, longnose gar is truly my favorite freshwater fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    They fight like hell I tell ya on light tackle it is fun
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

We use to sight fish for them with fly rods in high school. They are fun to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    boy, do i have a deal for you.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

So to be clear, no marlin fillets?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Ask Fro about skinning a marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Was kinda hoping it'd be someone breakin'-down a marlin or sail on camera.
    Sail is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by Jscrapmetal View Post
    Ask Fro about skinning a marlin.
    Funny thing was the guys who had a shark tournament the next weekend, they were standing around like vultures for scraps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    When my buddies from scumpter used to come up. We used small live bait rigs on them and had a blast.
    We used to use a piece of frayed white rope and a zebco.

that's how my father told me to start fishing for them as a kid.. we've got a large creek that runs from the river through our place.. they'll stack up in there at times. Nothing huge, typically you can see the big ones coming up in the river. On the lake now, I'll see a sizable gar floating up on my beach once every couple of years, that's about the only time I'll see them other then a spot up the lake years back. I have eaten Marlin, smoked, seared, and all of the above, it's okay. I've only had sailfish once. If you're down on some islands you don't have hipsters telling you what you should or should not eat.. There was a place around here that would serve marlin every so often though.

Where I trout fish, I will occasionally catch one on a mirrolure or soft paddle tail and
    for a split second, I think I have a record trout on because when he rolls way out there
    I see the small spots on his sides. Happens several times a year with me