Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    People commit suicide over tinnitus. I'm fortunate mine is a sound I can live with. Sounds like cicadas in my head 24/7/365
    Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Same here. I don't even notice it unless I intentionally listen for it. It just blends in to every day sounds otherwise.
    And same thing here also.

I get my hearing tested yearly at work and yes it has gotten a little worse over the years, my hearing is relatively good for my age and the occupation in which I work. I carry several hand full of foam ear plugs in my truck especially when going further than the office.

Friday there were six of us working on a crusher with two 1" air impacts trying to break four bolts loose and everyone had ear plugs in before the first impact socket was on the gun.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Being a birder with bad ears is very frustrating.
    I know that is right. When that lone cupped greenhead is coming in out of the blue, he dies because I can hear that single note, nearly inaudible call he often makes as he prepares to stick those red legs out and break down. Getting harder and harder to hear for sure..

Ruined my hearing 20+ years ago shooting a brand new Ruger Super Red Hawk 7in barrel 44 mag without any ear protection. I thought someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat after the first shot.

That above in addition to moondicks shooting birds over my head in the duck blind before I was smart enough to wear hearing protection.

I'm gonna proudly go deaf killing birds. Ear plugs are annoying. So are womens voices.

Mine to and my ears ringing like a mother but I deal with it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Wild Ear, thanks to Duckman#1. Coot-n-Bean '17 can both attest to my lack of hearing. I got tired of feeling like a burden on our hunts and having no clue as to working birds over me when hunting alone. Custom molded by an audiologist and 4 different settings with sound suppression and also a non-firearm function that gives even more enhancement. They're pricey, but I'm a one and done kind of guy. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'm gonna proudly go deaf killing birds. Ear plugs are annoying. So are womens voices.
    I've felt that way before. Things change some times. Maybe if you practiced wearing ear plugs in the presence of womens voices it would ease the transition?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Me too!!

Going Thursday to the ear doc to look into hearing aids…..
    All my friends that already have hearing aids say that Costco has the best deals on them. All the major brands at much lower prices. Some locations have an audiologist on site.

Costco's may not be "the best", but..

Costco locations

558 in the United States (including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico), 103 in Canada, 39 in Mexico, 29 in the United Kingdom, 27 in Japan, 16 in South Korea, 14 in Taiwan, 13 in Australia, 4 in Spain, 2 in France, 1 in Iceland and 1 in China.
    Should be strongly considered for traveling hunters as often as hearing aids get dunked, lost, and broken on a trip..

Reason #1 of a long list of reasons why I suck at turkey hunting is being deaf as a fence post.
    DILLIGAF

walkers thin muffs with the electronic hearing feature. peltors are the supposedly the top of the line electronic muffs though. you can spend as much as you want on them

What y’all say?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

While I was in college I worked at Union Carbide from 5-9pm. They required a hearing test. At the end of the test, the examiner cut off the machine and said....."you do alot of hunting and shoot right handed". I was 19 at the time.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Ruined my hearing years ago shooting without protection and equipment rooms without protection. Years ago it was really unheard of for the most part. Now after the damage is done I use the electronic muffs to shoot as they still allow me to hear and not bust my ears when shooting. I tried several of the walker products and the game ear works ok as I could at least hear a turkey again. Went to the ENT and got tested bought a behind the ear model. They tuned each to the left and right ear. Both had a different frequency range of hearing loss so they work in the areas of deficiency and not full spectrum. It should be hearing enhancement not just amplification. Expensive but there is no comparison in professional devises and the stuff sold over the counter. I did not believe that and wasted a lot of money on cheap shit that didn’t work well.

I was eager to get in the woods with them to see how well they worked. Wow what I was missing. Can now hear birds chirping and fluttering in the leaves. Things I haven’t heard in years. I turn them up when I get in my stand so I can hear even better. I can control them remotely and independently with my cell phone and ther are several modes to enhance different types of environment. If you are deaf like me go to a good ENT clinic.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-23-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Wow. I ate sugar last night for the first time in over a year. I can't hear myself think for the tinnitus right now. I had forgotten that I had tinnitus at all. You boys suffering from this may want to look into cause and effect...

I lost all hearing in my right ear in an accident at 11 yrs old, just dealt with it. Hearing in my left ear is almost 100%. Couple years ago realized our company insurance pays 100% for hearing aids so I got the Phonak Cros, the one on the right transmits sounds it picks up to the one on the left. Works pretty good til I dropped the right one from a climber and couldnt find it. Even went back the next day and couldnt find it, they worked but I hated wearing them. Still cant tell sound direction with them so I gave up turkey hunting. Can damn sure hear my tinnitus tho, crickets 24/7
    Last edited by Frank1; 05-31-2022 at 02:50 PM.

I've grown used to people thinking I'm aloof because of my hearing. I'm cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I've grown used to people thinking I'm aloof because of my hearing. I'm cool with it.
    Well that way you don't have to pretend you don't hear them. Wife ask you got your hearing aids in i just say no.