Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hearing

Haven’t pulled the trigger on hearing aids, but it won’t be long…..

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Haven’t pulled the trigger on hearing aids, but it won’t be long…..
    WHAT?!?!

I like hearin cicadas when it's -10 outside. I just think of it as my personal white noise generator.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Background - I'm 59, damn near 60, and have been pretty much shooting guns or next to guns being fired for 33 years, more or less 5 or more days a week. For many years, a lot of that shooting was done in a forensic lab in a room or enclosure that was maybe 150 square feet. Plus I've hunted since 1978 on my own.

Tinnitus is a fact of life for me. Right now, as I sit here, a constant high pitch whine is going in both ears... mostly left.

I have high frequency hearing loss in both ears, but more profoundly in my left one. Right ear is still surprisingly good. What sucks about this most is the slight loss of directional detection. I was getting tested annually in forensics, but a little less so now that I'm on the range as an instructor. The loss has leveled off a little. I have always worn muffs. Electronic when outdoors. I've been running the MSA Sordins with the gel ear cups. They are great - not a lot of amplification if that is important to you. But clear and comfortable. I've also used the basic Walker Razors because... money. They also work well.

I'm looking at getting a good non-custom in-the-ear plug to wear when I'm shooting non-suppressed hunting guns or at work (especially with rifles). I've been looking at these. They ain't cheap. But I've heard good things. The NRR with foam tips is 28... which ain't bad.

https://www.otto-comm.com/noizebarriermicro

Another good thing to consider if you are hunting with rifles is to bite the bullet and go suppressed.... BUT.... A centerfire rifle suppressed and shooting supersonic bullets is still gonna be damaging over time. But less so than unsuppressed by a wide margin.

Sadly and embarrassingly I can forget to put on my ear pro and have someone crack an AR-15 right next to me and not really even flinch anymore.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I use in-Ear and electronic noise cancelling ear muffs as a rule when range shooting.

I struggle a bit daily on hearing .. My next physical is scheduled and includes an audiologist visit. Hearing a Turkey gobble is very important to me.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.