Thread: Morels- Greenville/ Spartanburg area

Default Morels- Greenville/ Spartanburg area

I'll be running to Greenville from Pawleys this week for a meeting. Rumor has it some morels have been sited the last week or two in the upstate and wanted to try my luck at finding some. If anyone's willing to share some intel on good public elm stands, send me a PM if you'd prefer. I have a few places on my radar, but figured I'd ask here. I know it's like asking for your favorite fishing or duck honey hole, but...

That's like asking to sleep with someones wife.

Yeah I figured, but some don't like the taste of either and are more than willing to share.

They were popping a week ago down here in the Midlands before the hard freeze. That destroyed what was standing. Took my eagle eyed daughter yesterday to scout a new spot and came up empty. I have good luck under privet at the edge of poplar stands.

That same patch that got frost bit is doing well today. Ima keep an eye on it theough the week. Hopefully I can get out Saturday and check an old spot that I haven't been to in years., right under the noses of the dog walkers and soccer moms of the greater Columbia area....

MORELS.jpg

I did ok, considering this was my first go at it. This is a little more than half that I found. Dang, they're delicious!

Awesome! Just make sure to leave some for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Awesome! Just make sure to leave some for the future.
    I don't believe picking them has any affect on them not coming back. Mycilium underground is where they're coming from.

I got some mushrooms once in the upstate

I never tried shrooms or licking a frog's belly. How's the high?

Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    I don't believe picking them has any affect on them not coming back. Mycilium underground is where they're coming from.
    Yeah, I’m aware of the mycelium and it’s location. I’m referring to cutting them and leaving the base instead of pulling them. Carry on carrying on.

Found some in Laurens county this weekend, never found them that far south before.