Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding Fish (Fresh or Inshore)

I only lake fish these days so without a trolling motor I ain't going. I will say this, I fished a large pond down at Pinehurst area. My dad and the pond owner went to get a battery and a trolling motor to go on his boat. While they were gone i caught 13 fishing on the first 13 casts including a 10 lb 8 oz fish and lost three fish on cast 14-16. After we put the trolling motor on the boat never had another strike. Went to another pond and had similar results. Small waters are not as forgiving to intrusion.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-23-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
    Also, as much as I hate them, keep am eye on Flipper. He's not going to be where there are no fish.
    redfish and trout will haul ass at the first sign of Flipper.
    I have seen them jumping on the bank to get away from Flipper's carnage at the end of a dead-end creek

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have seen them jumping on the bank to get away from Flipper's carnage at the end of a dead-end creek
    Secret is to not let flipper get between you and the fish in a creek.

I’ve caught schooled fish on flats/shorelines with dolphins moving them around.

If a dolphin beats you to a school get there before him next time, chances are the fish will be there again on that tide.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    I only lake fish these days so without a trolling motor I ain't going. I will say this, I fished a large pond down at Pinehurst area. My dad and the pond owner went to get a battery and a trolling motor to go on his boat. While they were gone i caught 13 fishing on the first 13 casts including a 10 lb 8 oz fish and lost three fish on cast 14-16. After we put the trolling motor on the boat never had another strike. Went to another pond and had similar results. Small waters are not as forgiving to intrusion.
    if this were true, I would never catch a fish.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Secret is to not let flipper get between you and the fish in a creek.

I’ve caught schooled fish on flats/shorelines with dolphins moving them around.

If a dolphin beats you to a school get there before him next time, chances are the fish will be there again on that tide.
    How much water is in these creeks? What do y'all's boats draft? And am I correct in assuming low tide?
    Last edited by Black Bart; 03-24-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

why would it be low tide?

Water going out or coming in is why the fish would be back there, no?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

And that's also why I asked about their boats' drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    How much water is in these creeks? What do y'all's boats draft? And am I correct in assuming low tide?
    6-8”

As little water as possible, looking for creeks that dam up and trap fish. I’ll scape over oysters to get in.

Generally I fish incoming water as soon as I can get the boat in but some creeks fish best when the fish flush out on the outgoing water, just try not to get trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    if this were true, I would never catch a fish.
    No 2th, what i posted WAS the truth of my experience of that day. Your truth may be different. Stealth is a real thing. I have seen fish make a wake all the way across a cove to attack a spinner bait in clear water and seen them run from the same bait in clear water.

By the way never lie about fishing it will jinx you.

you didnt catch fish-truth

you blame it on the motor--truth

the truth might not be what you say it is. what you say is conjecture. anecdotal.

I've caught fish with a trolling motor on. Truth.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I caught 13 fish in 13 casts before we put the motor in the pond and no after but i dont think i caught them all. I have caught plenty of fish with the trolling motor running full blast. Lake fish hear that all the time pond fish do not. Sometimes it spooks them sometimes not. Most ponds and 99 island are places it is best to use the stealth approach. IMHO But you can fish your way and I will fish mine.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-24-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you didnt catch fish-truth

you blame it on the motor--truth

the truth might not be what you say it is. what you say is conjecture. anecdotal.

I've caught fish with a trolling motor on. Truth.
    I caught lots of fish trolling with an outboard!
    867-5309

When I was a kid we used to catch white bass on Wylie trolling about 15 - 20 feet behind the boat in the motor turbulence. Catch a washtub full every sunday evening.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-24-2022 at 09:48 AM.

You think them pond fish mighta caught on to the disturbance of their buddies being yanked out that water beforehand?

From a scouting standpoint they are great for telling you there are fish there. Didn't mean fish them when you see them but for future reference they know alot more than us. One of my best holes in Georgetown area I found while heading back to the ramp. Flipper and his associates were cruising around a small grass island. Around and around they went. Came back a week or so later and limited out with croakers under a cork.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    You think them pond fish mighta caught on to the disturbance of their buddies being yanked out that water beforehand?
    They all had sore lips and hurt feelings.
    DILLIGAF

A hand tiller trolling motor is quieter than the remote type.
    I have a remote and love it but a fact is a fact.
    If you aren't catching fish, it damn sure isn't because of a trolling motor
    most likely they aren't there are just have "lock jaw"

But a squeaky power pole is an entirely different story.
    DILLIGAF

A hand tiller trolling motor is quieter than the remote type.
    I have a remote and love it but a fact is a fact.
    If you aren't catching fish, it damn sure isn't because of a trolling motor
    most likely they aren't there are just have "lock jaw"
    Correct on the trolling motor type

There is absolutely a time and place for a trolling motor but I do not agree with the idea that it doesn’t affect the fish.