Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding Fish (Fresh or Inshore)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Seriously, though, you bass guys, what are y'all looking for, other than structure? Are there as many variables in fresh as in salt?
    I look for fish. I do alot of idling with my electronics.Screenshot_20220318-135101.jpgScreenshot_20220318-135013.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Wow.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Seriously, though, you bass guys, what are y'all looking for, other than structure? Are there as many variables in fresh as in salt?
    We all fish a little different as evident on the Tourneys trail. I try a few new spots of what ever areas seem to be working every time on the water. Spring time I look for wooden cover with good depth 4-10 feet. Early spring i like natural rock. Summer time ledges or humps that are not getting beat to death. I always look for dirty Muddy water if possible. I use my electronics more after post spawn.

I will say this, there are lots of ways to catch bass and just because Billy Bob is wearing them out on a jig don't mean you will. Fish your strengths but don't ignore the obvious. If you are catching a lot of small fish you can sometime change locations or baits and start picking up larger fish. Only experience will tell you when to do that. I have taught myself to fish many techniques and many I dont particularly like but at time that is the deal that day.

I used to fish 3 1/2 days a week on 6 different lakes and very seldom had a no fish day. Some days were better than others of course but i always figured out how to catch some. The more time you spend on the water the more your will think like a fish. The pro's think like a fish would think and fish their strengths, that is why they are successful on different lakes when others are not. You have to believe on any cast you are going to hook a 10 pounder.

If you're not consistently catching bass switch to spotless white new balances.

I scout new spots
    I went to "only artificial" years ago after a few buddies that fulltime tournament fish busted my balls all the time with 'anyone can catch fish on live bait" but skill is using only artificial. I do like live shrimp under a bobber in late fall though but haven't done it in the last few years.
    If I have fished a trout spot for 15 minutes and not caught one, I move, sometimes just a few hundred yards.
    Trolling motor usually has me moving slowly up the creek looking trout, we catch one, I drop the power pole. With trout, I find they are either there or they are not.
    I like moving water, in or out, doesn't matter as long as its moving but the falling tide is my favorite
    The higher the tide, the closer I fish to the bank, the lower the tide, I fish the middle and the bottom of the creek/river
    Points and drainage ditch mouths are more productive for me than "structure" (again, it's probably because they have moving water)
    Structure use to mean stumps, logs, brush etc underwater to me, but now structure means boat docks/piers for my fishing.
    I have fairly nice electronics, on the bay boat (trout/redfish), I use the water temp display and look for sudden drop offs (ledges) more so than "marking" fish.
    Pro-tip: Most people are too noisy when fishing, don't toss the anchor, ease it down slowly, don't jump down into the floor of the boat, don't slam compartment lids, etc.
    It's absolutely true: dark baits on dark days, bright baits on bright days. When we fish at night, I throw a solid black Mirrolure (Nightstalker).
    Last edited by ecu1984; 03-18-2022 at 07:52 PM.

I was hoping you'd chime in, ECU. Thanks for the feedback. Same for everyone else.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

How important is a trolling motor, really? I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55# thrust trolling motor that needs to be fixed. It was cool when it worked, but I don't know that I'd consider it an integral part of my operation? What do y'all think?

How important is a trolling motor, really? I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55# thrust trolling motor that needs to be fixed. It was cool when it worked, but I don't know that I'd consider it an integral part of my operation? What do y'all think?
    Extremely important as is a power pole or 2. Wouldn’t have a boat without either.

You will almost never catch a trolling motor on my boat. Power pole is useful but can spook fish as well.

Speaking specifically shallow water inshore

I fished without a trolling motor and a power pole for years.
    After having both for quite a while now, it would be tough to go without.
    I have a remote controlled trolling motor that I love but actually think my old tiller handle trolling motor was more convenient
    while casting and making a simple boat reposition. The Spot-lock feature is like playing with a pair of big natural titties though

I am a big fan of plastics and trolling motors inshore saltwater. Work shorelines, oyster bars/rakes from 1 foot to 6-8ft in depth.
    Will also pole or wade when practical. I rarely fish live (or dead) bait anymore unless I am fishing coastline or offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now is the time to go for big trout. They are starting to move from the back of the creeks more up to the front
    as they complete their little annual journey. By summer.........up closer to the ocean/ICW/inlets. My personal best are always in March/April
    I haven't been in awhile but I got pics yesterday of some doozies
    from my son and fishing buddy. One over 7lbs, several over 5lb
    Here is one they caught yesterday, probably a tad over 5 or so.
    My son and the buddy in the pic fish almost daily and they rub it in
    Trout 3.18.22.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 03-19-2022 at 10:18 AM.

You can look at it 2 ways.

1. You can spend a pile of money on robotic devices and go out and catch fish.
    2. You can catch a pile of fish without any of it and simply just toss a 20$ mushroom anchor, and use your outboard to move when you want.

Neither will ensure you catch more fish.

But one will ensure you look rad at Remley’s.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Nothing is more quiet than a push pole and an operator who knows how to pole a boat.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Nothing is more quiet than a push pole and an operator who knows how to pole a boat.
    100%

I like my trolling motor. When I get hung up flounder fishing I can just troll on over to get unhung instead of popping off. It’s also a must for most of my style of trout fishing. I don’t purposefully target salt carp unless I decide to wade a grass flat but that’s few and far between.
    867-5309

I couldn't go without having a trolling motor, I normally fish oyster banks and creeks for spottails. If I spent more time fishing the flats that might be different.

Another vote for couldn't live without one the way I fish. Freshwater 98% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Trolling motors in salt water can cause you to be impatient. An old timer taught me to quietly drop an anchor and take your time to work an area and be stealthy. Trolling motors and subsequent hull slap can scare away alot of fish especially big trout.
    The best technique IMO is go on a big negative tide and take pictures and mark coordinates of things you see. Also, as much as I hate them, keep am eye on Flipper. He's not going to be where there are no fish.

I took my trolling motor off my new jon pretty quickly.. the saltwater played hell on it after a year or so. I was still able to fish my same shell banks and rips. I never seemed to need one rockfishing. I have only bass fished with it a few times, it would be nice on the river, but almost a must on the lake. My bracket broke off crossing Charleston harbor.. and it was getting into duck season, I was tired of working around it so it never went back on. I have a pole, and two light anchors.