Thread: Woodworking Help Needed

Default Woodworking Help Needed

I have an old barn on my place that is falling down. Rather than let it rot, I pulled some of the good wood off it and built a dining room table. The boards are 100+ year old rough cut poplar that was sanded just enough to take the rough edges off. What is the best coating/sealant/protectant for it. I don’t want to really change the color, just give it some protection and possibly bring out the color a bit. It’s too rough to wipe on with a rag so will need to be brushed or sprayed.

54FCA753-633B-42F5-810D-E70928D349D8.jpeg

4BAA7420-2926-45D1-80C1-EFF1B1294224.jpeg

Default Woodworking Help Needed

Neat project!

I’ve used this before. Just make sure and use very very thin coats and let completely dry between each coat. Ask me how I know. I screwed up, had a sticky mess, and had to sand it all off and start over.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 03-17-2022 at 07:35 PM.

A tung oil-based finish will be durable and fairly waterproof (short duration) and is reasonably easy to work with like JR states above.

You could also use a spray-on catalyzed lacquer that would be very good as well. Last time I used some, I bought a 6-pack of rattle cans (believe the brand was ML Campbell) since I don't have a decent spray system.

Ive been doing all my wood counters with a waterbased poly. Easy to use and fast curing.
    Last edited by charlie horse; 03-20-2022 at 09:38 AM.