Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elites at Santee

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    What’s dumb? Questioning how good a fisherman is without the aid of modern technology?

There are A LOT of old Santee legends that could and did rip fish weekly 20 years before the first sonar and GPS machines were available to the public.
    They did it off experience.

The McCord brothers come to mind.
    Don Drose.
    Inky Davis.
    Pat Williams.
    JM Reynolds.
    I could go on and on.

Could the top bass fisherman in the country do what they did without the gadgets?

Personally I doubt it.
    They can do it and do it alot better if they fished the same lake 5-6 days a week. That's the advantage Don Drose and the others have/had.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

That came off harsh.

What I’m saying is you are wrong on a lot of things.

1. They aren’t showing up to a lake they’ve never seen and just winging it on fish day 1.
    ALL of them have been to every body of water on the tour SEVERAL times throughout the year, and over the years.
    2. They all show up a week before to pre fish prior to the tournament.
    I won’t mention names, but I got home Saturday from the Everglades, and Monday spoke to 3 tournament fisherman in Santee at the General Store.
    3. On really cool years how do think that the pros know where brush piles are? Do they just ride around aimlessly until they find a few on the screen? Do they drill locals at Bell’s Marina and Blacks for their brush numbers, or do they come 3 months before tournament dates and set their own brush? The world may never know….
    Receiving any information since the schedule was announced is not allowed. They get random lie detector tests all the time(ask Otter).

The 3 Japanese rookies have never been on the lake. They caught 19, 20, and 22 lbs today.

Bunn - Agreed.

But to be fair………. They do fish the tournament lake 6-7 days a week prior to day one blast off.
    I was on Okeechobee several years back and the tournament guys were there pre fishing 2 weeks prior to blast off.
    Fishing everyday.

However, I get your point.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Nope,....3 practice days...... Sunday, Monday,and Tuesday. No practicing yesterday. The lake has been off limits.

Reckon it wouldn’t be the first time a bass fisherman told a lie.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Reckon it wouldn’t be the first time a bass fisherman told a lie.
    What did you place today? Missed you at the weigh in.

What’s dumb? Questioning how good a fisherman is without the aid of modern technology?

There are A LOT of old Santee legends that could and did rip fish weekly 20 years before the first sonar and GPS machines were available to the public.
    They did it off experience.

The McCord brothers come to mind.
    Don Drose.
    Inky Davis.
    Pat Williams.
    JM Reynolds.
    I could go on and on.

Could the top bass fisherman in the country do what they did without the gadgets?

Personally I doubt it.
    Ofcourse, if you take away enough of a man’s tools, he’s not as good. But put a pro on a level playing field/with the same tools as your average joe on a neutral lake and the pro will go to his ass 9.5/10 times.

Out of all fishing, bass fishing is the toughest because those fish move the most. And I’m not talking about pond bass. A dip in temperature or water level can change a day later. One day you’re on them, and the next you can’t buy a bite. To consistently catch quality fish is talent.
    867-5309

Full moon fish should be moving in to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Out of all fishing, bass fishing is the toughest because those fish move the most. And I’m not talking about pond bass. A dip in temperature or water level can change a day later. One day you’re on them, and the next you can’t buy a bite. To consistently catch quality fish is talent.
    Seriously, bass move more than pelagics?? In the damn ocean no less? Come on man. I’ve never known largemouth to consistently swim hundreds of miles up a river from the ocean like several other species.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Nope,....3 practice days...... Sunday, Monday,and Tuesday. No practicing yesterday. The lake has been off limits.

CD is correct, lakes go off limits months in advance, for example for the Classic last week- no Angler could be on Hartwell after December 31st. Also once the schedule is released for the next year the anglers cannot receive any info from anyone about the lake-that includes family, friends, etc. The next years schedule is usually released at the Classic which always is in March now, but sometimes the schedule is released earlier. The anglers are also randomly chosen for Lie detector testing to make sure the rules are followed. BASS is trying to level the playing field as much as possible. Years ago the “no info” rule didn’t have the bite it has now. They are serious about it now and enforce it strictly.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Ofcourse, if you take away enough of a man’s tools, he’s not as good. But put a pro on a level playing field/with the same tools as your average joe on a neutral lake and the pro will go to his ass 9.5/10 times.
    To my knowledge, it’s a question that’s never been put to the test in a public arena.

“Pro” is a subjective term.

Pro at knowing fish behavior a certain time of year?

Pro at using modern electronics and understanding how they apply to waterways?

Pro at what?

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I disagree. Bass are about as simple to pattern as shellcracker.
    Dips in temps may push them off spawn, but back off the spawn area 100ft and you’ll find em hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Seriously, bass move more than pelagics?? In the damn ocean no less? Come on man. I’ve never known largemouth to consistently swim hundreds of miles up a river from the ocean like several other species.
    I’ve gotten my feelings hurt way more in the lake than I have the ocean.
    867-5309

Bogster it sounds like you missed your calling as a pro angler for BASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    They don’t have to move hundreds of miles for you not to catch them the next day. All they’ve got to do is move 75 yards the next day and you might not catch them.
    Last edited by jevans; 03-17-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Santee owns me. I've landed a few haymakers, but none have ended the match
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

And Bunn won't take me fishing, no matter how many times I ask. What place is Inky in?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Bogster it sounds like you missed your calling as a pro angler for BASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

And pre practice this time of year is useless. What are your views on the flogger they use up north? I personally think that's stretching it.