Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna clone chainsaw kit

Default Husqvarna clone chainsaw kit

So I’ve wanted a bigger chainsaw for a while, not out of necessity but really just for fun because of my inner Tim The Toolman Taylor. I’ve owned a 455 rancher for many years and it has been very good. Since I make zero money running a chainsaw and only use them on my farm I just couldn’t justify the cost of a professional chainsaw. I started looking into the Holzfforma chainsaw kits and watched several reviews and builds and decided I would try to build the 372xp for myself and see how it turned out. Besides the price being cheaper, I wanted to build the kit myself for the personal satisfaction and also for the knowledge of how the saws are put together. That way if something on this saw broke I could replace it with an OEM part if I wanted. The kit took me a couple hours to put together while watching a “bolt for bolt build” video on YouTube. I will say the hardest part of the build was compressing the chain break springs and trying to figure out which bolts to put where. During the build I went ahead and did a “base gasket delete” since my “squish” was 27 thousandths with no gasket. All in all for having never done anything like this before I think the chainsaw turned out great. Took it to the farm yesterday to cut up an oak that had blown down from a storm and was impressed with the performance. Longevity is the only question left to answer about this saw but since it will only be taken out to work maybe 10-20 days a year, I think it has a good chance. If you want to build this kit, there is one tiny o ring that does not come with the kit, husq part 503-26-30-19, this goes inside the crankshaft seal on the PTO side and is necessary. Also I would recommend the crankshaft assembly tool (part #502503015) for pulling the crankshaft into the bearings.
    C6491D48-71B3-40EF-8C3A-C7F1BB0D1B76.jpg
    20865D5A-2427-4694-982C-DBC966821581.jpg
    44ACF7DB-4225-48E9-8060-AA8F3B9EBCFB.jpg
    047627A6-9CAB-4A24-903E-D260A00915D6.jpg
    8747ADC5-DA85-4D22-9732-E4956ABFD909.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

You got a link to the saw itself?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

https://www.farmertec.com/US-STOCK-C...-p1029396.html

This is the kit I bought. They sell the low top version for $5 less. I will say that the plastic parts on mine are a slightly darker orange than the magnesium parts (not a big deal to me)

https://www.bluesaws.com/
    I just found out about this guy today (a US dealer). In the description of the kits he sells, it says that the plastic parts are the OEM color. So I guess his might match, if that's a big deal.
    Last edited by CUduckreeper; 03-15-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Thank you for posting this, I had never heard of such a thing and I'm in the market for a larger saw as well. I will be diving into this rabbit hole later this evening.

Thanks. Been thinking about doing it myself. I need a larger saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Thank you for posting this, I had never heard of such a thing and I'm in the market for a larger saw as well. I will be diving into this rabbit hole later this evening.
    If you are just looking to buy a large saw, I saw good reviews of the Neo-Tec NS892 (Stihl 660 Clone). I haven’t found where you can buy this as a kit to build yet but I’m sure it’s coming if it’s not already out because I saw a video of a guy getting it in a kit form to build.

I like the idea of building it too. That FarmerTec link has Stihl clones also but some are out of stock.

That’s pretty cool

Been running saws a long time and have never heard of what you did. I bet you did enjoy doing that.

I am glad you put this out here.

Now we have a KRT of chainsaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Now we have a KRT of chainsaws.
    Haha nice.

Nice project man, Might have to try it if wind keeps blowing 30kts.

nice work, I have been looking at these kits for a while now.
    what was the trick to get the chain break springs compressed?

Quote Originally Posted by cburns View Post
    nice work, I have been looking at these kits for a while now.
    what was the trick to get the chain break springs compressed?
    The guy in the video I watched used a large flathead screwdriver to pry it and slide it down into place. After several attempts I ended up using a large pair of channel lock pliers. The small spring I used a hooked pick to pull it compressed enough.

I'd be interested to see how well it holds up. Post up some progress as you go about using it...
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Hats off to you for completing the project. I know I’d probably get pissed an hour in and end up with a half built chainsaw

Any updates on the saw?

Had Husq 55 for 25 years and it finally broke the housing when it got caught under a tree. I replaced it with a FACTORY reconditioned 455 off eBay for $337.oo with free shipping.

I was leery of it before I spoke with the girl at the shop who told me that these saws were just ones that had a scratch or were missing a knob before being fixed. The one I got last week is pristine and runs like a scalded dog.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155020212704

Here's the link.
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 09-10-2022 at 08:09 AM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Sasha and Abby sighting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on how your saw is working out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you used the saw lately?