Thread: LiFePO4 lithium marine batteries?

Default LiFePO4 lithium marine batteries?

The trolling motor batteries in my flats boat need replacing. They run my 24v trolling motor. They are currently a pair of group 24 lead/acid flooded. I'm considering replacing them with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.

One of the factors of my reluctance is that after years of charging my batteries with a single remote charger, I finally installed a three bank charger that I can plug in one cord and charge/maintain all three batteries in the boat almost effortlessly.

From what I've read, the pros to lithium are: much lighter, faster charging, no maintenance, longer life.
    Cons are the much higher initial cost and need for a special charger.

Can anyone here spread some wisdom and tips about switching to lithium trolling motor batteries?

Three things are different:

1. Weight.
    2. Charge curve. Lithium anything can be charged significantly faster than conventional lead acid batteries.
    3. Discharge curve. Lithium anything has a "rockin', rockin', rockin', dead" discharge curve. Old school lead acid slowly discharges on the voltage side and gives you some warning of impending doom. Lithium technology won't do that, but will allow you to perform at a higher rate for a longer period of time.

Bonus: Lithium costs much more.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Dakota is the way to go if you’re going lithium, 11 year warranty.

I saw many booths selling the lithium batteries at Classic Expo. The weight difference is staggering. And one 24 v or 36 v battery to run your tm vs two or three is significant. One vendor did tell me most outboard manf will void warranty if you try to use a lithium battery to start? Don’t know if that’s true. A guide friend has mentioned some issues he’s heard about using them to start. The 11 year war on Dakota is absurd.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Are you having issues currently burning through your batteries in a day? Need to drop weight for a specific reason (draft, poling)?

If not I’d just drop new quality wet cells back in and roll on.

I got a 36v 63ah Dakota for my Rhodan, haven’t used it yet but it weighs less than 1 regular wet 12v battery. 11 year warranty is a big plus.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Aren’t the lithium batteries a fire hazard. I know you cannot ship the by air, even a small one. Also about phone and vape mods exploding but I still use both. Probably rare but on an airplane a disaster and mast fatality event.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-14-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Three things are different:

1. Weight.
    2. Charge curve. Lithium anything can be charged significantly faster than conventional lead acid batteries.
    3. Discharge curve. Lithium anything has a "rockin', rockin', rockin', dead" discharge curve. Old school lead acid slowly discharges on the voltage side and gives you some warning of impending doom. Lithium technology won't do that, but will allow you to perform at a higher rate for a longer period of time.

Bonus: Lithium costs much more.
    Better Listen to this Man. He knows lectric shit
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"