Thread: Hobie Kayak 360 Drive

Default Hobie Kayak 360 Drive

Looking at upgrading from my Native Slayer 12 kayak that has been great for the past 5 or so years. I'm debating going the peddle route and wanted to see if anyone has experience with the Hobie 360 drive. It's definitely a step up in price but it looks pretty functional. I'm also debating the new Slayer 12.5 model that was on display at the Bassmaster Classic expo. Hobie had one on display with a sticker price of $21k which was mind blowing. I won't be going all out like that but want to step up.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-pro-angler-14-360/
    https://nativewatercraft.com/pages/s...ropel-max-12-5

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Post or search on the Lowcountry Kayak Anglers Facebook page. A lot of them run the latest and greatest Hobies

I’ve been with Hobie since 2010. I’ve had a pile of the Pro Angler 14’s and several of the Outback’s. Currently we have two 2021 PA 14’s and a 2021 Outback. The PA14 360 is quite a boat with some amazing maneuverability. If you do some research you’ll find that there have been some issues with the 360 drive. Issues that leave you with no ability to use the pedal drive. That being said, many of the top tournament competitors that fish from the PA 360 say that any issues are worth the hassle that may or may not come with it. I was talking to Kristine Fischer about this at the Hobie Bass Open Tournament of Champions and she said there’s no way she could ever go back to the Pro Angler with the 180 Drive. For now I’m sticking with the tried and true design. It’s kind of like the kick up fins to me. Some people love them and I’m sure they save the drives for a few folks that run into hard objects. I hate the feature personally and lock the fins in place with the friction set screw. I actually have an older model drive from an old Hobie that doesn’t even have kick up fins and that’s the drive I generally grab when I’m headed out.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I’d be happy to chat.
    Last edited by Ring King; 03-12-2022 at 11:38 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Thanks for the information. A lot to think about but I appreciate the offer for help.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Post or search on the Lowcountry Kayak Anglers Facebook page. A lot of them run the latest and greatest Hobies
    I'd paddle it.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'd paddle it.

But that's just me.
    If it’s a Hobie then you’d be better off pedaling it since they are almost all pedal kayaks these days! LOL
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL