Thread: Depth Finder

Default Depth Finder

Time for a new depth finder. Mainly crappie and stripers. I do a little catfishing and a fair amount of inshore saltwater but not as concerned about those as the crappie and striper for making a decision on a depth finder. Thinking maybe Garmin 93sv. Probably not going with livescope right now but that allows me to in the future if I want to.
    What are y'all using and how do you like it?

I love my garmin, i have the 74sv. But just know, buying the 93sv is the lake maps, and you will have to buy the saltwater maps for your inshore trips. The first number (9) is the screen size, the second number (3) is lake maps, or (4) saltwater maps.

Down imaging and knowing how to use it.

I have the 73sv and NOAA bluecharts on SD. The GPS functions are very good. The fishfinder functions are good but not the fish finding panacea that I hoped it would be. I mounted the transducer in the same place as the previous transducer. It's okay buy the side view to the port side is partially blocked by the foot of the motor. If I really want to use the side view functions I pick the motor up some - it's not a complete problem but a little bit of a pain.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I prefer Lowrance.Screenshot_20220310-130004.jpgScreenshot_20220310-125923.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I love my garmin, i have the 74sv. But just know, buying the 93sv is the lake maps, and you will have to buy the saltwater maps for your inshore trips. The first number (9) is the screen size, the second number (3) is lake maps, or (4) saltwater maps.
    I got one of these. I are satisfied with its can and can nots

Thanks for all of the replies.......and BPS just happened to put them on sale yesterday so that sealed the deal. 93sv it is.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies.......and BPS just happened to put them on sale yesterday so that sealed the deal. 93sv it is.
    fwiw, go ahead and get the livescope and be done with it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    A couple of thoughts...

1) If you don't have one already - it's good time to put a transducer bracket on the boat,
    2) Since you'll be wiring and pulling cable, consider adding a smaller unit next to the new big one. I've lost two fishfinder/GPS combos when I was on the water. It can ruin a trip. Once the unit fried and was no good. The other time some floating stuff hit the transducer an knocked it off so the mapping was working but not the fish finder. Did I mention it can ruin a trip? I use a 43cv and 44cv as backup on the big boat. I used one transducer and mounting station on the fishing boat and one on the duck boat. When I'm fishing in coastal waters, I pull in the 44cv. In freshwater I snap in the 43cv. In the duck boat it's the only GPS/Fishfinder I've got but I use the one that matches the water I'm in.
    3) Transducer location and mounting matter a whole lot more on side view than down view only so get some help before you start drilling.
    4) I can't remember what it's called but there's a Ethernet-like connection to network marine devices - if you have a radio or something else with network capabilities including fuel monitoring - now is a good time to wire for those things too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post

4) I can't remember what it's called but there's a Ethernet-like connection to network marine devices - if you have a radio or something else with network capabilities including fuel monitoring - now is a good time to wire for those things too.
    NMEA Network.

It's for sharing between two inits,....he might not need it with one unit.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-11-2022 at 08:04 PM.