Thread: About those eathquakes

Default About those eathquakes

ELGIN, S.C. (WSPA) – Kershaw County features good people, good barbeque and lately, a good amount of earthquakes.

“I was in my bed asleep, and it shook so hard I thought the word was coming to an end!” Ronnie Snyder said. “I was like, ‘Oh Lord, oh Lord.’ I ran to the front and I ran to the back and I didn’t see anything, so I said, ‘well, that must be an earthquake.”

A magnitude 3.3 earthquake shook the area on Dec. 27, 2021. Since then, the Lugoff/Elgin area in the South Carolina midlands saw 18 earthquakes through early January 2022. It was unsettling to residents and puzzling to scientists.

“We started feeling more of these aftershocks and they were coming, like, daily. Around the same time, wee hours in the morning. And I started paying attention to it. And I’m like, ‘We’re really having earthquakes. Is anyone paying attention to this at all?'” Doroeathea Beach said.

Emeritus University of South Carolina professor of geophysics, Dr. Pradeep Talwani, has studied earthquakes in the Carolinas for the past 50 years.

When the earthquake swarm caught his attention, he looked back at previous studies of the Eastern Piedmont Fault System that stretches from Alabama, across the midlands, and up to Virginia.

“We have what we call local stress buildup. If you have a place you can build up a very large local stress, you can generate a large earthquake. If you have small a amount of stress, you have small earthquakes,” Dr. Talwani said.

Sure enough, the quakes were concentrated around an area less than 5 miles apart.

After further investigation, his research found that the Wateree River runs across the fault in that same location.

His hypothesis was that some water may have been able to seep into cracks produced by the fault on the riverbed. This extra pressure may have been the pressure needed to cause the earthquakes.

Though residents near the epicenter of these quakes aren’t too rattled, some showed concern about the potential for even more.

https://www.wspa.com/news/state-news...akes-in-a-row/

Im guessing these small quakes are relieving pressure along the fault and may very well prevent a 7.5 from happening one day.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

What if it opens up and all of the wateree river drains into it

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    What if it opens up and all of the wateree river drains into it
    Global warming will get worse.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Fuck that, then Lugoff can walk over all lackadaisical like

Nutz, you're still my boy though

if i were that ronnie fella, not sure I would've wanted to be quoted admitting I was a wussy.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

One registered like 3.0 at 10 am again this morning

Midlands has its most powerful earthquake in an active seven months, geologists report

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

It woke me up this morning in mcbee. Figured it was an Osprey running night training at first.

Woke me up to, the whole house shook
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

My wife is at the beach and had to tell me about the earthquake and I was at home. Didn't feel anything

Woke us up in Wildewood. Shook for a good 30secs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

woke me up too
    then the wife woke me up again to see if i felt it.

oh, i felt it allright. what the hell else was i gonna do at 130 and we are both awake?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    woke me up too
    then the wife woke me up again to see if i felt it.

oh, i felt it allright. what the hell else was i gonna do at 130 and we are both awake?
    I hate these hit during the daytime for you 2thDoc!
    Bone....

Relax...It was just an Orthquake...Perry came back to town for a visit...