Thread: Foresters: an odd request

Default Foresters: an odd request

If one wanted to plant some pines for the sole purpose of building a log house in +-30 years, what type and how many/acre would best suit this goal? House would be hand built with no large equipment beyond a 50-75hp tractor, so I'm thinking 16-18" trees max.

Shooting from the hip I would say you need about 2 acres of loblolly pines planted at 622 per acre. Don’t thin and they’ll be tall and have tight grains and clean all the way up. The inferior trees will die off and the stand of trees will self thin. Wood will be pretty.

I was hoping you might reply, and 1.5-2 acres is about what I had in mind so that is good to see.

StrutnBPS, thank you for the link, I will add it to my list of required reading.

I like where this is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    If one wanted to plant some pines for the sole purpose of building a log house in +-30 years, what type and how many/acre would best suit this goal? House would be hand built with no large equipment beyond a 50-75hp tractor, so I'm thinking 16-18" trees max.
    I can’t even plan ahead for the weekend and I see this. I will say plant a lot more than you think you will need a do what big time says. Remember the bugs, the ice, the hurricanes, and ex wives will all take few out.

By the time you build your house you'll probably be dying of whatever the covid shot gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    By the time you build your house you'll probably be dying of whatever the covid shot gave us.
    LOL!!

30 years ?? Sheiiiit , I hope I'm still here in 30 months.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.