Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Upstate

Reading this thread while Merle is asking if the "Good Times are Really Over for Good" in my headphones.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

We've got 2,000 lots on the books that are ready for water as we speak. It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Reading this thread while Merle is asking if the "Good Times are Really Over for Good" in my headphones.
    Whiskey Myers says that these are still the Good Ole Days

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    Woodie, careful on the 35% open space and smaller lots. By allowing the developer to create a cluster development it increases their net density and lowers the infrastructure cost/lot making it easier for them to develop any piece of land. Also, smaller lots bring the small lot demographic, which typically has a mindset which does not jive with most members on here.

Not picking a fight, or trying to marginalize the increase in open space. Just want to make sure your thinking about the unintended consequences of that increase in open space.
    I understand what you're saying, lowbudget. There obviously are a number of other restrictions and/or requirements that would need to be included, and considered, including the average size, cost, and quality of the homes. If done properly, based on a minimum total acreage of the land in question, etc, you could end up with a higher end development/community and not just be inviting 'up-scale rednecks', so to speak.

Keep in mind that I was just offered almost 3/4 million for my place (I turned it down), and I have over 10 wooded acres, so I'm as much of a NIMBY guy as many here. On top of that, there's over 1000 acres of land next to me that the two families have been trying to market for close to 20 years, and I'm obviously being watchful of what ends up there. If no development restrictions are in existence, and I wake up one day to a logger and a bull dozer flattening the woodlot next to my 1450' side line, up to the actual property line, I'll be one pissed off MF and someone's dick is going to be freeze-dried, so to speak.

What nobody needs is someone like a ****** *****, et al, who are known to just throw up cheap(er) quality housing on flat fields, with no riparian barriers, or property line buffers to existing communities.

I'm open for ideas, for sure.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-07-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I understand what you're saying, lowbudget. There obviously are a number of other restrictions and/or requirements that would need to be included, and considered, including the average size, cost, and quality of the homes. If don't properly, based on a minimum total acreage of the land in question, etc, you could end up with a higher end development/community and not just be inviting 'up-scale rednecks', so to speak.

Keep in mind that I was just offered almost 3/4 million for my place (I turned it down), and I have over 10 wooded acres, so I'm as much of a NIMBY guy as many here. On top of that, there's over 1000 acres of land next to me that the two families have been trying to market for close to 20 years, and I'm obviously being watchful of what ends up there. If no development restrictions are in existence, and I wake up one day to a logger and a bull dozer flattening the woodlot next to my 1450' side line, up to the actual property line, I'll be one pissed off MF and someone's dick is going to be freeze-dried, so to speak.

What nobody needs is someone like a ****** *****, et al, who are known to just throw up cheap(er) quality housing on flat fields, with no riparian barriers, or property line buffers to existing communities.

I'm open for ideas, for sure.
    Its certainly a complicated matter that is relatively new to our area. My community is facing the same problems as yours. All I can say is be proactive, which it sounds like you are, and legislation drives everything. You get it, but a lot of people will picket a project while ignoring the enabling legislation, so it sounds like you are taking the right approach with county ordinance.

Well it's hard to complain about development when we are tossing more carrots out there for more people to come. In addition, with companies allowing more freedom to work from home, folks are free to move to areas with a lower cost of living, driving up the cost of living here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Well it's hard to complain about development when we are tossing more carrots out there for more people to come. In addition, with companies allowing more freedom to work from home, folks are free to move to areas with a lower cost of living, driving up the cost of living here.
    I think that the WFH model has made a permanent change across the nation.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    I think that the WFH model has made a permanent change across the nation.
    You're quite correct. And if I can figure out how to convert the inspection jobs I do part-time for one client to 'virtual inspections', like some businesses do today, I'll be able to relocate to a remote mountain cabin somewhere and (almost) completely ignore all of these idiots out there.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-06-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I first noticed it a couple years ago on a flight from ATL into GSP. The raw, red dirt is overwhelming on this side of the state line.

Keep your moondog ass in Mauldin. Fountain Inn is full.
    Hahaha! Been a minute since I was called a Moondog!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mauldin has been full!

Fountain inn just built that fancy new high school just ripe to fill with liberal yankee spawn.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Drove down to Mauldin last week . Damn all those appratment just exploded out of the ground on 276.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Drove down to Mauldin last week . Damn all those apartments just exploded out of the ground on 276.
    Here comes the crime wave!!!! Rat colonies
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sure is. Unfortunately, I pave a fair amount of them each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    Hahaha! Been a minute since I was called a Moondog!

No, no it hasn’t. You just weren’t involved in the conversation.

Dayum

If you own land, you should be able to do what-ever-the-fuck you wanna do with it.

Period. Dot.

If you don't like it, get to work and buy up some more land.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    No, no it hasn’t. You just weren’t involved in the conversation.
    Fair enough! Don't tell me you are one of those Hillcrest rednecks like Bolt?

Being called a Moondog is now the least of your worries…..apologize or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Being called a Moondog is now the least of your worries…..apologize or else.
    Haha so you are saying you aren't a ginger and have normal size fingers?

That is 100% correct