Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Jerry Jugs Okay?

Default Are Jerry Jugs Okay?

...on board a boat? A while ago, someone asked me about a container he saw in one of my pics. I've had a fuel-flow issue for some time and keep a 5-gallon container as a CYA. I've researched it and don't see anything forbidding it, but I actually feel better hearing from y'all. Thanks in advance.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I do it too so it is okay by me.
    DILLIGAF

The only stipulation that I can think of regarding fuel tanks in vessels is this: If it's "permanently installed", you MUST carry a fire extinguisher on board.

Permanently installed means built in/strapped down/anything keeping you from picking it up and throwing it overboard.

Jerry cans are just fine.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I do it too if I’m going to be out there a while running around. My two stroke eats fuel.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    The only stipulation that I can think of regarding fuel tanks in vessels is this: If it's "permanently installed", you MUST carry a fire extinguisher on board.

Permanently installed means built in/strapped down/anything keeping you from picking it up and throwing it overboard.

Jerry cans are just fine.

And they do mean ANYTHING. Had a Jon boat with the flip up rear deck hatch and a portable tank sitting on the floor of the boat under it. DNR officer said it was permanent and wrote a ticket for no extinguisher.

Thanks, y'all.

What's crackin', T? Glad to see you back around. For the minute, at least...
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I have seen 2 litre Coke bottles full of gas to extend an offshore run, so you should be fine with jcans...

Get you one of the motorcycle racing gas cans. They sell them at most napas and on amazon. They make 3 and 6 gallon ones. I keep the 3 in my boat. Not many places I go that 3 gallons wouldnt get me back to the hill
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Gas cans these days are enough to make you want to kick a plaintiff's attorney in the nuts!
    Last edited by Hogg; 03-03-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    DILLIGAF

Funny story, since Ive traded my two stroke in for a fuel sipping four stroke, Ive run out of gas twice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Gas cans these days are enough to make you want to kick a plaintiff's attorney in the nuts!
    Dude, they're unbelievable. You gotta twist something, hold something down, and then engage something else to get gas outta them.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Dude, they're unbelievable. You gotta twist something, hold something down, and then engage something else to get gas outta them.
    ...and I never fail to spill gas with them.

I remember going offshore years ago with a big rubber bladder tank strapped to the bow rail.

This is the picture. I was asked about the container and it made me a bit nervous, because I'm pretty sure the dude who asked about it knows his stuff.

BC6AE8CD-7B2A-4E5A-A091-C89A19032861.jpg

Jerry Cans on a Freeman will get you fined.

Nice Freeman, BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Order old school replacement nozzles on Amazon...I just gave my pops some for Christmas for the same griping.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    Order old school replacement nozzles on Amazon...I just gave my pops some for Christmas for the same griping.
    Problem is that most of the newer cans don't have separate vents. It's all built in to that useless spout.

I don't understand the need for them on an inshore rig??

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I don't understand the need for them on an inshore rig??
    Because you've gotta grab it and growl... you don't squeeze it and whine.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Yeah, I'm not sure how a Jerry can is going to help with fuel flow issues. What not get a regular portable fuel tank with a spare fuel line and primer bulb?