Thread: License for youth and field trials

Default License for youth and field trials

Question for the brain trust since there are wardens on here.

1. If my 7 year old daughter goes with me turkey hunting or deer hunting just to tag along, does she have to have her own turkey or deer tags?

2. If you run dogs in a field trial, no killing just field trial (rabbits/beagles, walkers/fox, retrievers etc) do you have to have a license? If so then if you go out of state to compete in a test, you have to buy an OOS license for that state?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Question 1 answer is no. Don't know about 2.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/smal...ieldtrial.html

it states for non residents but not residents.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Question for the brain trust since there are wardens on here.

1. If my 7 year old daughter goes with me turkey hunting or deer hunting just to tag along, does she have to have her own turkey or deer tags?

2. If you run dogs in a field trial, no killing just field trial (rabbits/beagles, walkers/fox, retrievers etc) do you have to have a license? If so then if you go out of state to compete in a test, you have to buy an OOS license for that state?
    There was a heavy discussion about #1 on the Carolina Wildlife Syndicate page on FB some time back. Strick9 has all the knowledge about it. Maybe he will weigh in.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

there's a mask mandate in richland county that was extended 60 more days.

I aint gonna argue the law here, but I'll argue with any sumbitch game warden that would write up your daughter in scenario #1.

my point being that we get so worried about the law when we should just worry about what is right. I'm sure DT will come on here and make another unenforceable law but I dont think that's what we need more of....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've been to a bunch of bird dog trials and hunt tests in this state and adjoining states and the subject of hunting licenses was never mentioned. Resident and non-resident handlers did their own gunning in some formats (NBH and NSTRA). The only "game" killed were released birds. Game wardens were occasionally in attendance. It may just be one of those laws for which the wardens are rightfully using their "discretion".

If you're holding a field trial you have to submit a form to SCDNR and pay for a Field trial permit. If there is a field trial permit it my understanding you don't have to have a hunting permit.

If there's not a permit in hand then all bets are off. I remember a long time ago there being a big stink over this matter in NC at a hunt test.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/licenses/pdf/...pplication.pdf
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 03-04-2022 at 07:12 AM.