Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Top Tents (RTT's)

Default Roof Top Tents (RTT's)

Anyone have one mounted on truck or SUV? How do you like it?...Thinking about how I can extend the time in the field without the hotel room. If I were rolling in dough, I think the Alu Cab makes a real good one:

At least I'm housebroken.

Breaking camp everyday to drive somewhere would be the issue I see. Put one on a trailer and it makes more sense. Coworker did this and it’s a sweet rig but he spent a lot of fab time and decent money to get it done.

I don't think they'll sell you one of those unless you show proof you've got a snokle kit on the intended ride.

I don't do the snorkle thing so I guess that's out..Striking time for the Alu Cab is 2 minutes, which is why it cost $4500, I suppose. I've seen the trailer thing and that does look like the way to go without losing any mobility.

Go to the overland expo. It’s up towards Virginia I think and all the vendors will have displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I don't think they'll sell you one of those unless you show proof you've got a snokle kit on the intended ride.
    And a "WARNING driver is GAY" bumper sticker.

That's got to be it.

I worked on building this for a roof top tent and outdoor kitchen to pull behind my Land Rover. From friends traveling the country, the roof top tents are nice and quickly deployed but if you have a little bit of dew in the AM, you need to make sure it is dry before packing up again.
    AB6AEAB5-62EE-4F28-A95D-BBF5DF02BC19.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    I worked on building this for a roof top tent and outdoor kitchen to pull behind my Land Rover. From friends traveling the country, the roof top tents are nice and quickly deployed but if you have a little bit of dew in the AM, you need to make sure it is dry before packing up again.
    AB6AEAB5-62EE-4F28-A95D-BBF5DF02BC19.jpg
    Cool!

Built this a few years ago.

20211129_170428.jpg

Basically I built a 4x8 trailer with risers coming up to hold a rtt. Plenty of storage underneath both enclosed and open. The open part can hold 2 kayaks. The lower is big enough for 6 Rubbermaid totes plus bag chairs, folding table, cook top, and propane tanks. It's also light enough to pull behind my Honda pioneer and i can pick it up by the tongue and move it around.

The tent a Tuff Stuff 4x4 tent. At the time there only a few options and all of the ones in that style were made in the same Chinese factory with different brand names printed on them. It's a great tent. Gets a little hot in the summer because it's so thick.

It's been great. Up top is a queen memory foam mattress and below is big enough to hold a queen blow up mattress with bags and gear. You don't have to attach the lower part if you don't need it. That picture was from Disney in November. It is starting to get a little small with the family though. Thinking about upgrading to a camper at some point

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSC View Post
    Built this a few years ago.

20211129_170428.jpg

Basically I built a 4x8 trailer with risers coming up to hold a rtt. Plenty of storage underneath both enclosed and open. The open part can hold 2 kayaks. The lower is big enough for 6 Rubbermaid totes plus bag chairs, folding table, cook top, and propane tanks. It's also light enough to pull behind my Honda pioneer and i can pick it up by the tongue and move it around.

The tent a Tuff Stuff 4x4 tent. At the time there only a few options and all of the ones in that style were made in the same Chinese factory with different brand names printed on them. It's a great tent. Gets a little hot in the summer because it's so thick.

It's been great. Up top is a queen memory foam mattress and below is big enough to hold a queen blow up mattress with bags and gear. You don't have to attach the lower part if you don't need it. That picture was from Disney in November. It is starting to get a little small with the family though. Thinking about upgrading to a camper at some point
    Wow

I got a nice cabin tent that somebody could us with the frame on the cheap with real nice sleeping bags and other stuff if anybody is interested and I will take a 150 for all it. At least I posted the price. Move it to the trading post for me Tater. Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

If you feel like dropping some coin….

https://turtlebacktrailers.com/

I had one while living in Utah, sold it and got an Alaskan guide tent from Cabelas. Packs nicely and you can put a wood burning stove inside.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I had one while living in Utah, sold it and got an Alaskan guide tent from Cabelas. Packs nicely and you can put a wood burning stove inside.
    Noted! I think that would be a good way to go. This idea came up (for me) while planning a two-week trip to eastern Montana for the bird hunting..I really like the idea of an RTT and being off the ground camping in September though

Want to sell that tent now that you’re back in SC?

I would sell but will still be using it regularly. I do have a bunch of gear that will be in the TP in the near future.

I would sell but will still be using it regularly. I do have a bunch of gear that will be in the TP in the near future.
    Ahem.

I expect a text prior to exposure to the unwashed masses.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...16668928%22%7D

if link doesnt work search "Pull behind overlander" its in Seneca
    Last edited by Smilee; 03-02-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...16668928%22%7D

if link doesnt work search "Pull behind overlander" its in Seneca
    dam!