Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great day for fire

16% humidity

Looks like lower half of Richland county is on fire
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Drive belt on the gator shredded. Slight hiccup in the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Forestry Commission reports notification of 215 burns in the state today
    Last edited by Beauregard; 03-02-2022 at 01:17 PM.

16% humidity! not me! that can get real scary quick!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Yeah f that. I don’t mess with anything below 20%. I learned the hard way.

Two saturday's ago the humidity was forecasted to be 50% mid-day. I lit a back line about noon. Just in time for the lunch winds to kick up and the humidity to drop to 18%. At the second spot fire, I called for help. By the time the four fire plows and airplane got going, my 50 acre burn turned into a 100 acre burn. Got home cold and worn out. I am thankful for the forestry commission and the fellows that work there.

3 more places to burn before I put my stuff up until next year. Everybody needs to burn. That would single handedly have the greatest positive impact on all wildlife species. Instead of all of the breath wasted about possible solutions to habitat destruction and all of the money spend on "research". Burn it and they will come.
    Last edited by Big Time; 03-02-2022 at 03:34 PM.

yea, been there. had a end of the day site prep burn on a 100 ac clearcut decide to spot across at 530 as we were about to drink a beer.

it burned over, under, and thru a big ass bay. around 3am after several dozers got stuck and several more got a decent line in, we were able to call it good. it burned across a knee deep flooded flat like nobodys business. the grass mat on top was perfect fuel in a head fire.

1 week later that same effing fire reignited in the peat of the bay and burned like a mofo underground for while. i havent been on a site prep burn since and that was 15 years ago.

Dang belly,

In all my years I had one fire go underground. We were burning windrows in the Santee swamp. It burned for about a month. One of us would ride by there every few days to check on it. Was the weirdest thing to see smoke coming from the ground with no fire anywhere. Eventually it rained and the fire went out.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    yea, been there. had a end of the day site prep burn on a 100 ac clearcut decide to spot across at 530 as we were about to drink a beer.

it burned over, under, and thru a big ass bay. around 3am after several dozers got stuck and several more got a decent line in, we were able to call it good. it burned across a knee deep flooded flat like nobodys business. the grass mat on top was perfect fuel in a head fire.

1 week later that same effing fire reignited in the peat of the bay and burned like a mofo underground for while. i havent been on a site prep burn since and that was 15 years ago.
    It only stops if you want it to.

bullshit.
    it only stops if it wants to.

I wish I had someone to burn my place.
    (yawn)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I still have nightmares about one of my site prep fires that spotted and burned up the neighbors dry hayfield. I got an excellent burn and called it a day. Checked on it several times next day or so in case needed to do any more mop up. 4 days later 30+ mph west winds sparked up a smoldering fat lighter stump and sub 20% humidity let her rip.

Everything burns like broomstraw when humidity is around 20%.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

What do you guys do about the liability for burning? Is there a separate insurance available for burning?

If you resort to calling the Forestry Commission to get a fire contained, who gets the bill?

Also, is there any downside to getting the controlled burn manager cert? I understand the extra legal cushion of "gross negligence" vs "negligence" but would there be any greater expectation of burn preparation in a court battle?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-03-2022 at 09:15 AM.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Yes there is separate insurance for burning. There is also a good bit of protection within the law provided you are a certified burn manager AND you're following the smoke management guidelines AND you're staying within your prescription.

The class is well worth the day of your time and the $50 or whatever it costs. The bulk of the class is spent covering the legal aspects, and how to manage the smoke. The smoke is the most dangerous part of the whole process.

As far as the greater expectation of burn preparation, yes there would be an expectation that you put together a proper burn plan, and followed it. The class teaches you how to put the proper burn plan together. I can say, every insurance policy I've gotten required you to be certified and to submit your burn plan before burning.

Things happen, and like anything, if you do it enough you'll end up with some war stories. If you follow what they teach you in the class though, you'll know enough to know what you're dealing with. Then it's up to you to apply what you've learned.
    Last edited by MC; 03-03-2022 at 10:08 AM.

I've been looking and haven't seen where they have offered any classes this year
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I've been looking and haven't seen where they have offered any classes this year
    They are usually offered in the fall and winter. As to not interfere with fire season.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Hoping they can fit us in this year.

The class is very much worth your time. The legal aspects, weather fundamentals and planning resources were most helpful for me.

The class has a "catch 22" though. Once you take the class, you need to document 5 burns on which you were the one that took responsibility, i.e. called in for the permit. You can't get insurance until you have your certification and you can't get the certification until you've risked five burns without insurance.

There is a work around in that there is no limit on the size of the five fires that you need to document. I have burned several pasture fires and a few small, very well isolated wood plots. I have more than my five fires documented but haven't gotten around to finalizing the certification.

You can probably find out about upcoming classes if you contact one of the Clemson email addresses here: https://scpfc.weebly.com/

So what happens if a fire gets out and you have to call the Forestry Service to help get it contained?

You pay.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.