Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great day for fire

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The class is very much worth your time. The legal aspects, weather fundamentals and planning resources were most helpful for me.

The class has a "catch 22" though. Once you take the class, you need to document 5 burns on which you were the one that took responsibility, i.e. called in for the permit. You can't get insurance until you have your certification and you can't get the certification until you've risked five burns without insurance.

There is a work around in that there is no limit on the size of the five fires that you need to document. I have burned several pasture fires and a few small, very well isolated wood plots. I have more than my five fires documented but haven't gotten around to finalizing the certification.

You can probably find out about upcoming classes if you contact one of the Clemson email addresses here: https://scpfc.weebly.com/

So what happens if a fire gets out and you have to call the Forestry Service to help get it contained?
    Burn with someone who already has the certification and have them sign off on the burn plan. That is how I did it. My first certification burn was 900 acres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

So what happens if a fire gets out and you have to call the Forestry Service to help get it contained?
    Not sure about SC, but in GA if you received a permit, then the service is free of charge
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I never took you for a pyromaniac Willy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Burn with someone who already has the certification and have them sign off on the burn plan. That is how I did it. My first certification burn was 900 acres

I did not submit burn plans. Only burn numbers. You could burn 300 acres in one day but break it up into 5 parcels and call each in as a separate burn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I did not submit burn plans. Only burn numbers. You could burn 300 acres in one day but break it up into 5 parcels and call each in as a separate burn as well.
    The second two of mine were done that way. I had 5 knocked out in about 2 weeks. Last one was small and I did it by myself.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

When I did mine I did as others here have said. I had a CPFM on site which satisfied the insurance requirement and I broke the burn unit up into 5 blocks and treated each one as a separate fire. I did all 5 of my certification burns on the same day, sent the form in and had my certification number in a couple weeks.

As far as calling SCFC to come out for an escaped fire, fortunately I’ve never had to do that. I’ve had a few fires jump the break but its always been a situation I could handle with the equipment and personnel on scene. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I would expect they respond just like the local fire department to help you get it under control. Then the questions start, but again if you are following the plan and it was a “reasonable” plan, it could range from “have a good day” to “now we need to get an appraiser out here to start tallying up the damage.

I wasn't sure how it really operates in the real world but, in the class, we were told the permit had to be called in by us and that made us responsible for the burn even if I had a CPFM on site. If he called it in, I could not get the credit. Further, if the CPFM didn't call it in, insurance wouldn't be available. That didn't make sense to me since they were essentially saying we had no way of protecting ourselves from liability when we had the least experience. I'm glad to hear that it's not true.

I've been on the other side of the liability issue because a private forestry service had a fire get loose and burn about 17 acres of my trees. It seemed particularly unfair because their original burn happened six weeks before it got to my place. After the fire had been declared extinguished by the Forestry Service, it rekindled six weeks later on a property that the private company didn't have access to. They had no way to monitor or extinguish smolders. The state forestry service determines who is at fault and they certainly weren't going to share any blame. Their final verdict was that the blame falls wholly on whoever struck the first match.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-03-2022 at 12:26 PM.