Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garden Tips

Here’s a small one I did at a friends pond house last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Where are you buying your pitcher plants from?

Most of em came from carnivorous plant nursery.

Don’t get any of those crazy hybrids.

Native flava and minor attract way more bugs.

Space your plants about a foot apart, in a couple years they’ll get bigger than you’d think.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    If anyone has a surefire way of dealing with vine borers, I'm all ears.
    Thank God we have never had them, but I have heard that once they get in your soil you are pretty much screwed. Most people dig up the plants and burn them.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Bugs in a garden are sadly not just cosmetic. Potato bugs, squash borers, tomato hornworms, and others will devastate your plants. Fire ants will ruin okra. But I agree, its good to minimize chemicals. Soapy water in a spray bottle will discourage fire ants and aphids but you have to reapply a lot.
    I agree 100%. We try to use as little chemicals as possible because he like having bees in our garden.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    If you go with that theory you clearly have not grown tomatoes before! Lol
    Yep. In fact, God told me to exert dominion over every mockingbird that tries to get near my tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yep. In fact, God told me to exert dominion over every mockingbird that tries to get near my tomatoes.
    Crows will do a number on tomatoes too. A few years ago we had something eating them, still haven't figured out if it was a squirrel or a very tall rabbit.

We finally put up an electric fence last year for the deer.

Damn a mockingbird when it comes to my tomatoes.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Those squash bugs are the devil. Someone told me to plant my squash plants later in the year b/c they would move on if there's nothing there to eat in early spring. Not sure how much truth there is to it though.

I've read that you can stick a pin through the stem where the borer is. Not sure if it will save the plant, but it sounds very satisfying.

What about spraying glasophate on garden area to kill everything before you till. Good or bad

I had a neighbor actually buy like a thousand ladybugs trying to control aphids.. she was older, I felt like she should have known better.. throught my life I've always had large gardens, these days at my new place it's smaller, but cooler. I don't grow much more then about twentyish tomatoes, mostly Cherokee purples, and at least one type of smaller cherry type. That's my tip, so you can eat them while you're out there. Then if you plant a dove field, go ahead a throw in a few rows of silver queen at one end.. everything is set up anyways. I'll use seven dust if I see a cut worm near my squash or herbs.. I haven't had them jump to my tomatoes in my new garden, yet. I've been working on a little orchard this year as well. We've got kinda got one on the farm, even paw paws, but I've finally got room for one at the house. I fight deer more then anything, my fence is eight feet now. My garden is ready for Good Friday already..