Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden Tips

Default Garden Tips

With this only being my second time at an actual garden... Mine did well last year but had a problem with worms in my corn and some bugs on my tomatoes.

So what different things do y'all do to keep bugs at a minimum in your gardens?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Some years we don't have to use anything, some years we can get by with using sevin dust, then some years we have to go nuke with permethrin. The main thing that gets us are the squash bugs. Don't plant your squash in the same place year after year either. Makes it easier for the vine borers to find.

I've never bothered with corn worms. Always just took it as part of the game. They never get far past the tip of the ear anyway if you pick when you should.

If you want perfect corn you might use bt. Plenty of how to use on YouTube. I been gardening for over 50 years and don’t go to the trouble but it is nice not to have the worms. You can also find ways to control squash vine borers on YouTube. Good luck and enjoy.

Yeah I didn't really mind it last year but I am going to stagger some corn this year and didn't want the later ones to be done it by the worms before it was their time... Really was just the bigger issue with the tomatoes. Bugs got after them hard once some started to turn and being picked.... Not long after bugs stared to enjoy themselves. Thanks. Any other tips from those with more wisdom is welcome haha
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I have a pitcher plant bog built about 5ft outside my garden fence.

At times the pitchers are so full of squash bugs some of them will topple over.

I’ve never once seen a bug on any of my plants.

Get some sarracenia flava and plant in saturated peat moss.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I have a pitcher plant bog built about 5ft outside my garden fence.

At times the pitchers are so full of squash bugs some of them will topple over.

I’ve never once seen a bug on any of my plants.

Get some sarracenia flava and plant in saturated peat moss.
    I need to look into this. I'd be interested in your setup if you want to post it.

Same. Was told to get some pots and throw some basil, mints and whatnot will also help.... How much tho?

Default Garden Tips

Dipel Dust.
    Last edited by Tater; 02-20-2022 at 07:09 PM.

bugs and bug damage are cosmetic. Grocery store goods dont have bug damage, Ever wonder why?

everybody deals with them, it is nature.
    sitting against the tree next month, look to your immediate left. within 30 seconds you will probably spot 10 different species of bugs. God doesn’t mind them in his forest, in fact He put them there for a reason.

rinse and snip off what is unappealing.

(bugs are also the best indicator that the food you put on your kids’ plate does not contain poison)
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 02-21-2022 at 08:13 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Bugs in a garden are sadly not just cosmetic. Potato bugs, squash borers, tomato hornworms, and others will devastate your plants. Fire ants will ruin okra. But I agree, its good to minimize chemicals. Soapy water in a spray bottle will discourage fire ants and aphids but you have to reapply a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    bugs and bug damage are cosmetic. Grocery store goods dont have bug damage, Ever wonder why?

everybody deals with them, it is nature.
    sitting against the tree next month, look to your immediate left. within 30 seconds you will probably spot 10 different species of bugs. God doesn’t mind them in his forest, in fact He put them there for a reason.

rinse and snip off what is unappealing.

(bugs are also the best indicator that the food you put on your kids’ plate does not contain poison)
    If you go with that theory you clearly have not grown tomatoes before! Lol

If anyone has a surefire way of dealing with vine borers, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    If anyone has a surefire way of dealing with vine borers, I'm all ears.
    Plant squash as early as you can. Also don’t plant it in the same spot as the previous year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Plant squash as early as you can. Also don’t plant it in the same spot as the previous year.

Yep, already doing that, and it allows me to get a good bit of squash. But the borers always come.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Also don’t plant it in the same spot as the previous year.

How far from previous plantings do you know? I thought I remember reading a mile away somewhere and thought how impractical that would be.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I don’t have any current photos, as it’s winter and everything is dormant. Pitchers will begin to pop back up some time in April.
    I dug about an 8ft circle 2ft deep.
    Lined the hole with 4 mil plastic. Take a pitch fork or something and poke a few holes about 8 inches up the wall and maybe 1 hole in the center for drainage. You want it to be wet all the time. The single hole in the center should be small. Like, a single poke with your pocket knife, so drainage is very slow.
    Fill the hole with peat moss. Mine took 3-4 bales from tractor supply.
    Soak the peat with water hose. This part may take about a day. Peat at first is very water resistant, seemingly impossible to get wet.
    Start with one bag and soak it, then add a bag at a time.

Once it’s saturated, the plants can go in.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Here’s a few old photos I had on my phone

First one is sometime in March when the plants are just waking up.
    2nd is late April when they start flowering, and 3rd is just a photo of an orchid in the bog.

Hope this helps.