Thread: Deep

Default Deep

DeepMind Has Trained an AI to Control Nuclear Fusion

The Google-backed firm taught a reinforcement learning algorithm to control the fiery plasma inside a tokamak nuclear fusion reactor.

THE INSIDE OF a tokamak—the doughnut-shaped vessel designed to contain a nuclear fusion reaction—presents a special kind of chaos. Hydrogen atoms are smashed together at unfathomably high temperatures, creating a whirling, roiling plasma that’s hotter than the surface of the sun. Finding smart ways to control and confine that plasma will be key to unlocking the potential of nuclear fusion, which has been mooted as the clean energy source of the future for decades. At this point, the science underlying fusion seems sound, so what remains is an engineering challenge. “We need to be able to heat this matter up and hold it together for long enough for us to take energy out of it,” says Ambrogio Fasoli, director of the Swiss Plasma Center at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland.

That’s where DeepMind comes in. The artificial intelligence firm, backed by Google parent company Alphabet, has previously turned its hand to video games and protein folding, and has been working on a joint research project with the Swiss Plasma Center to develop an AI for controlling a nuclear fusion reaction.
    DeepMind has developed an AI that can control the plasma autonomously. A paper published in the journal Nature describes how researchers from the two groups taught a deep reinforcement learning system to control the 19 magnetic coils inside TCV, the variable-configuration tokamak at the Swiss Plasma Center, which is used to carry out research that will inform the design of bigger fusion reactors in the future. “AI, and specifically reinforcement learning, is particularly well suited to the complex problems presented by controlling plasma in a tokamak,” says Martin Riedmiller, control team lead at DeepMind.

The neural network—a type of AI setup designed to mimic the architecture of the human brain—was initially trained in a simulation. It started by observing how changing the settings on each of the 19 coils affected the shape of the plasma inside the vessel. Then it was given different shapes to try to re-create in the plasma. These included a D-shaped cross section close to what will be used inside ITER (formerly the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor), the large-scale experimental tokamak under construction in France, and a snowflake configuration that could help dissipate the intense heat of the reaction more evenly around the vessel.
    https://www.wired.com/story/deepmind-ai-nuclear-fusion/

Yeah, well I once built a radio for a science project...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

"Skynet, the beginning"

A computer has zero consequences for getting it wrong...
    A hacker can control whether a nuclear unit produces much needed electric generation or melts down...
    Ransomware - Premium Edition...
    I know stupid programmers...
    I'm, all the sudden, more supportive of solar generation...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Watch the Boeing documentary on Netflix. Then see what is going to happen to Duke Energy and our reliable electric grid...

What are your thoughts with regard to Duke Energy, JABIII?

It doesn't matter. We will never be able to build it on schedule so it will never happen.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Sorry, JABIII, I still may not be picking up what you're laying down. I didn't see Google, at least not outright in the Duke top investors list...

I think you're alluding to an AI-controlled grid?

If so, a lot of the necessary infrastructure is already in place with more being implemented as we speak.

No sir. I am alluding to the fact that we have allowed one of our core businesses to be taken over by people who think most of the South is "flyover country". As with Boeing, a once great company with strong sense of community, knowingly putting dangerous planes in the air to save a stock price. Cabelas is another great example of what happens when these people decide it is time to bust out a company.

Understand. And you just had to bring up Cabela's... May they RIP...

I'm betting you've heard of Elliott Management...