Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordless Tools

Default Cordless Tools

I am not a contractor, and use my tools everyday all day, but I do do more than the average bear with three houses.

I need to replace a failing set of porter cable 18 volt cordless tools. They're 8 years old and my impact driver is starting to struggle with anything over a screw and my batteries are getting swapped out every 5 minutes.

Ideal components would be:

Impact driver
    drill
    grinder
    sawzall
    oscillating tool
    circular saw (but not necessary).

I might have pee'ed a little when I looked at prices. What's the quality/value package out there?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

acmetools.com

pick your color. I prefer Milwaukee.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

The newer 20v Dewalt lithium stuff seems to be pretty good. I'm the same as you, dont use them every day, but use them alot.

Ive got some 5 and 6 amp hours batteries and use them in a pole saw and a trimmer and have been really impressed at how long they last.

Also, the little one handed sawzall is a bad ass little tool.

It's a ford/chevy thing. If you want the very best go Milwaukee. I think Dewalt's stuff is right in line with most "heavy" DIY's workload. You can find them on sale especially around the holidays. Makita, Ridgid, Metabo all make good cordless tools as well. Really can't go wrong getting one of the big brands.

I will add that you get what you pay for with the tool sets. If you see a set of tools for cheaper, it's usually because the included tools are lower tiered or they have small batteries, etc.

Go to YouTube and watch Project Farm's videos. He tests all the name brands.

From what I have seen it seems that there is no best of everything. Example, the best impact driver may be dewalt, the best drill may be milwaukee.

Drive into Mount Pleasant and go to Contractor Nail and Tool and get Makita from a local store that will back their products up and give you great customer service. They have great bundles and will answer the phone when you need them.

I’ll bite and take the bait… I like my Ryobi stuff.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    I’ll bite and take the bait… I like my Ryobi stuff.
    Ain't a thing wrong with Ryobi. It will do 95% of the work the regular weekend warrior will do.

Milwaukee M18 stuff

I am not a contractor either, so defer to those guys opinions. One I had showed me and told me about Home Depot's Rigid brand. Deal is they are guaranteed for Life, including Battery Replacement and Charger Replacement. I have used the warranty for Batteries and a Charger. Don't know of anyone else out there that guarantees Batteries!!

An 18V Rigid Battery fits any 18V Rigid Tool, and if you buy a 4.5aH battery separately, it is guaranteed for Life as well.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

Some good deals here

Did they change the Porter Cable batteries? I have the 20v stuff and mine look different than the ones they make now.

Milwaukee pack out

Hitachi/Metabo will run circles around Milwaukee/Dewalt. Lighter and also stronger.

I'm a contractor and use bosch. My nephew has ryobi and I was impressed with it but he drives a truck and doesn't use it everyday. Makita and Milwaukee are pretty decent but I'd stay away from dewalt ,craftsman and porter cable they are all owned by black and decker.

I use dewalt but only use the more expensive stuff that’s made for daily use. I did buy my first Milwaukee impact the other day and haven’t started to crave a dick in butt so there’s that too..

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    I am not a contractor either, so defer to those guys opinions. One I had showed me and told me about Home Depot's Rigid brand. Deal is they are guaranteed for Life, including Battery Replacement and Charger Replacement. I have used the warranty for Batteries and a Charger. Don't know of anyone else out there that guarantees Batteries!!

An 18V Rigid Battery fits any 18V Rigid Tool, and if you buy a 4.5aH battery separately, it is guaranteed for Life as well.
    That might be a winner winner chicken dinner right there. I am all about a lifetime guarantee.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    That might be a winner winner chicken dinner right there. I am all about a lifetime guarantee.
    My dad has a rigid hammer drill. It has worked perfectly. He uses it a lot as a drill, not so much the hammer function, but its not a every day type use. He would easily get another.

Milwaukee, Ridgid, then DeWalt in that order.

If it says Rigid, it is a counterfeit.

I personally use Milwaukee at work, then DeWalt at home cause I cant afford two sets of Milwaukee

I’ve used dewalt for the better part of 15 years. Like when they first came out with the lithium stuff. I’ve not looked back. In 15 years I’ve only replaced one battery that went poop. I’ve added some bigger batteries along the way but only replaced that one. I keep adding tools to the mix. Bought an angle drill last week. A fan last summer. Need a portable air compressor now.

If it means anything to you, dewalt and MAC are the same. Dewalt makes the MAC stuff and their batteries are interchangeable.