Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Things aren’t like they use to be

Default Things aren’t like they use to be

80-20 Genaration

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times.

We screwed up duck hunting when we started flooding crops for them.

We’ve manipulated an animal to be something it’s not in our pursuits to hunt it.

God designed migratory birds to fly south for the winter.

When they get to the wintering grounds they are supposed to utilize a food source until it’s gone, and move to the next one.

There are grown men that truly believe that when they plant and flood corn they are doing what’s best for waterfowl.

That is effing retarded.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Then they drop the water the day after the season ends.

Interesting read for sure, thanks DM.

Since when is flooding corn a "bonafide agricultural practice"?

That's like reading SCDUCKS in 1999.

They.

Are.

Not.

There.

To.

Migrate.

Unless someone found that super secret hole north of us that is holding all those hundreds of thousands of missing mallard ducks, stop going backwards with this nonsense and let's get to figuring out why...

Man with money can put water on corn but a poor man can’t put corn in the water

Great read, thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That's like reading SCDUCKS in 1999.

They.

Are.

Not.

There.

To.

Migrate.

Unless someone found that super secret hole north of us that is holding all those hundreds of thousands of missing mallard ducks, stop going backwards with this nonsense and let's get to figuring out why...
    They are there.

Not nearly as many as your DU magazine fall migration report claims, but it takes a special kind of stupid to believe that’s even remotely accurate.

They are sitting on planted refuges, sanctuaries, private clubs, and anywhere else we have “created habitat” for them.

In the Atlantic Flyway, we destroy all natural habitat, build false habitat, force them to an unnatural food source where we can congregate them for hunting, then we hunt them twice a week, and grown ass men stand around campfires and ponder why there are no ducks and why the remaining few night feed.

It’s a special kind of stupid.

Thank God above that the American Black Duck stands his ground in the salt marsh.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    They are sitting on planted refuges, sanctuaries, private clubs, and anywhere else we have “created habitat” for them.
    OK. Where? Those Atlantic Flyway refuge counts should be available. It was easy to see by the 90's. Everyone was hollering then "They have them all". Well maybe, but ALL wasn't close to the numbers that used to overwinter at our own Refuge before Glen Bond killed it...

I read a study the other day on flippy ducks killing all the young birds and messing up imprinting. Don’t believe it but it was an interesting point of view.

I don’t know where the birds are, guess I’ll just keep going further northwest.

8715CFD2-2C13-4CB6-8DC7-4992E001B9CF.jpg

Is this indicative of every state?

Why are we funding TOMO? Why are people obsessed with recruiting new duck hunters?

Default Things aren’t like they use to be

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times.

We screwed up duck hunting when we started flooding crops for them.

We’ve manipulated an animal to be something it’s not in our pursuits to hunt it.

God designed migratory birds to fly south for the winter.

When they get to the wintering grounds they are supposed to utilize a food source until it’s gone, and move to the next one.

There are grown men that truly believe that when they plant and flood corn they are doing what’s best for waterfowl.

That is effing retarded.
    Tell us oh wise one..what is your answer?

Seriously though. You are given the magic wand…what is the answer. What, in your mind, “fixes” the issue? We’ve beat this horse to absolute death. But I’ve yet to read or hear any reasonable answer to the problem. Only bloviating about corn ponds and mud motors and rubber heads. That’s not to say that those things are not a problem. But let’s not cast aspersions without having a definitive answer to the issue!

Bear in mind this is coming from someone who planted and flooded close to 100ac of crop land for ducks and did not see the numbers we had hoped for. I’m not against flooded crops but I’m also not delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quackhead22; 02-13-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    8715CFD2-2C13-4CB6-8DC7-4992E001B9CF.jpg

Is this indicative of every state?

Why are we funding TOMO? Why are people obsessed with recruiting new duck hunters?
    Imho, that's the results of the Atlantic flyway crashing.

Look for a big increase in the central flyway states duck stamps. That's where the pressure is going next.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yep. And then West from there. Maybe by that time people will start looking around at everything that is gone or going from crows to those towhees...

It's not so much that ducks don't exist now, more I believe the Feds didn't have a frapping clue just how many birds we had 30+ years ago......
    So were there numbers way off then or now?or both....
    Last edited by BRR; 02-13-2022 at 10:25 PM.

" We have met the enemy, and it is us"
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I read a study the other day on flippy ducks killing all the young birds and messing up imprinting. Don’t believe it but it was an interesting point of view.

I don’t know where the birds are, guess I’ll just keep going further northwest.
    Post a link if you can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Again. Why are tax dollars going toward hunter recruitment? It's like a college virgin inviting the football team to his party and then wondering why he didn't get lucky with a female

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Again. Why are tax dollars going toward hunter recruitment? It's like a college virgin inviting the football team to his party and then wondering why he didn't get lucky with a female
    Some folks don't like him, but there was an interesting debate between Steve Rinella and his brother on this exact issue recently. I think your view is shared by many.
    Carolina Counsel