Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and I cleaned the bathroom at limbo
    and the kitchen floor.

they really look nice.
    I used neither, so they should still look really nice
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I think outlawing male turkey decoys would be a good start
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

It is us, but I believe that if the problem is ever seriously studied, the problem will be chemical. Atrazine? Or just humans pissing unmetabolized birth control into every waterway on the planet...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    It is us, but I believe that if the problem is ever seriously studied, the problem will be chemical. Atrazine? Or just humans pissing unmetabolized birth control into every waterway on the planet...
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

So what did we come up with after 15 pages?

Bogs wrong or Bogs right or no one thinks that row crops manipulates birds at all?

If corn does not manipulate them at all then can we just go ahead and legalize baiting? What's the point of it being illegal if it will not impact the birds overall migration?

We obviously need better farming practices and striker limits and seasons on breeding grounds as well as here. Might not see so many people travel west for 3 or 4 birds. I think we also have to look at it as a whole and think about what happened with the quail.... What did they do back in the day when the population declined as fast as it did? If we take some of the value away from the ducks we will also decrease the incentive for some land owners to provide habitat thus resulting in less habitat as well? So what is the plan to compensate those that provide actual habitat for both breeding grounds and wintering grounds when we deceased the money or incentives involved in the duck..... It doesn't seem to have worked out well for the quail and seems that before long we will be at a point of release birds like already in the AF for ducks if we are not already at that point like England.

Sooooo to get back on topic.... Those with some wisdom... What is the answer? We can have a positive impact... Look at what we helped do with turkeys and what was done for the wood duck back in the day.... We can just have to be willing to do the right thing and make sure it is actually the right thing.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quail decline = KY31 fescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Then why do isolated areas with 10k-30k acres of quail habitat still have to supplement with early release?

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Then why do isolated areas with 10k-30k acres of quail habitat still have to supplement with early release?
    Because it became not cool to shoot Cooper's hawks.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

There is no KY31 fescue in Florence,Darlington, or Lee county,.......none.

Also no quail left either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    There is no KY31 fescue in Florence,Darlington, or Lee county,.......none.

Also no quail left either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I doubt the validity of that statement, but will ease your pain by rewording my response to “non-native grasses”.

I doubt the validity of that statement, but will ease your pain by rewording my response to “non-native grasses”.
    Native grass seed is expensive
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

There’s no birds to populate that acreage. Survival rate of released birds is marginal at best.

They have wild coveys, just not in huntable populations.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    They have wild coveys, just not in huntable populations.
    If they have that kind of acreage under management I’m sure there’s nothing I can say they don’t already know. I applaud their efforts and hope they get to see a return on their efforts.

Kill any and all raptors ( and feral cats) on said properties and watch your quail numbers increase.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

And I’ll be the first to admit I don’t a thing about wild quail.

But what I have noticed since moving to Clarendon County, is that all property directly on or close by the River Road hold wild quail.
    I’ve asked the question to several of the landowners over here and the number one response I get is “farming practices.”

They leave their corners, hedge rows, etc.

You drive down Panola Rd, Lily Martin, River Road, Les Tindal, or damn near any other cut thru in that area and shut your truck off in the last hour of the day, and you’ll hear bobwhites in every direction, any day of the week.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I really think the lack of any common ground is because everybody is afraid they're going to lose something. Biff doesn't want to give up his corn pond. Bubba doesn't want to give up his mud motor. Once everybody's "concerns" are taken into consideration then there's nothing left on the table. Close?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I really think the lack of any common ground is because everybody is afraid they're going to lose something. Biff doesn't want to give up his corn pond. Bubba doesn't want to give up his mud motor. Once everybody's "concerns" are taken into consideration then there's nothing left on the table. Close?
    Probably the best post on the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Absolutely. Want to know what is sadder? Consider that IF you were able to bust through it all, identify a problem, and a solution, you will see those who REALLY don't want to "lose something". Be it the chemical industry or the billion dollar conservation dollar beast...

Not only on the head, but managed to drive it all the way in the 2x4 with one whack.

Well said.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.