Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good brand of tiller for tractor

Default What is a good brand of tiller for tractor

Looking to pick up a 5’ tiller for my New Holland 1920 (33 hp) tractor

Will be used for garden, yard, etc but light use

Friend of mine has a Bush Hog 6’ that works great

Figured some of you can tell me pros/cons of various brands

I do know I want one with oil bath for gears, use one years ago that was not and that thing was a POS

I would take the time to find an old Howard in the best shape you can find. I would prefer a 20 year old one to a brand new of most out there...

I've got 2 king kutters. No complaints

I found a Mahindra on FB market place brand new. Been great so far and seems tuff.

I've had a County Line from Tractor Supply for about 3 years now and it's been pretty good. I use it for food plots and our garden.

I have a TerraForce ER062 that came with my tractor. It’s been good so far. No complaints with small food plots and garden.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I've had a County Line from Tractor Supply for about 3 years now and it's been pretty good. I use it for food plots and our garden.

Several folks have recommended those, it will be pretty light use for most part

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Same here. I knew the first time I used it I had disced my last food plot.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Several folks have recommended those, it will be pretty light use for most part
    I think they are made by King Kutter. So far I haven't had any issues and I beat it up pretty good behind a 50hp JD. I wish I would have went with a 6ft.

I have a county line as well. It works just fine.

I have a 5’ Bush Hog that is 21 years old. It has been great.

Whatever brand you go with, I’d suggest getting a reverse tine model, where the tines turn in the opposite direction as the tractor tires. They seem to dig better with hopping.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

I have a terra force with no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    Whatever brand you go with, I’d suggest getting a reverse tine model, where the tines turn in the opposite direction as the tractor tires. They seem to dig better with hopping.
    I've never had my 5ft forward tiller bounce, even on virgin hard packed red clay. I also very rarely have to make more than one pass. If I do, its because the grass is so thick, not because the dirt is too hard. I mainly bought my tiller for food plots and most food plot seeds don't need to be buried very deep. One negative I always tell people about tillers is that it is very easy to till too deep with them so a cultipacker is a great tool to have. A reverse tiller will dig deeper, but it will also require more horsepower and IMO just isn't needed for SC soil. A reverse tine tiller is also worse if you have rocks because it will pull the rocks through the tiller more, beating everything up.

Bush Hogg..

I've got a Taylor way that is pretty good. Found a woods on Craigslist in my hometown 3 years ago for $1,000. Almost brand new. I swear I couldn't keep tines on it to save my life. Finally got some fine thread bolts with lock nuts and red loctite and put them on with an air impact over the summer. Went down to plant and it made it about 30 minutes before the drive chain blew into 1,000 pieces. Got pissed and jumped in the drove to Wilson's tractor in newberry and bought a terra force and it has been great
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I bought a 6' Bad Boy last year to run behind my L3900. It's built heavier than every other mfg I looked at and I'm happy with it. We zipped through all of our food plots this past year in no time with two tillers running. As someone already said I don't think I will pull another set of harrows.

A couple years of tiller only will create a pretty hard pan. Unless you got some sandy loamy stuff
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    A couple years of tiller only will create a pretty hard pan. Unless you got some sandy loamy stuff
    My FIL told me the same thing (he used to farm the land we hunt now). He said if we only ran tillers we would need to pull a middle buster or a bottom plow every few years to break up the hard pan.

Caroni from AgriSupply, parts readily available from them as well. Mine is 6’ model and 20 years old. Bless the man that gifted it to me before his death. He abused the hell out of that thing.