Thread: Yamaha F70 prop and setup

Default Yamaha F70 prop and setup

Recently moved from a 2 stroke Mercury 50 to a 4 stroke Yamaha F70 on a 1650 side console triton. Mounted the motor and was considerably unimpressed with the performance. First run was only pushing about 30-31 MPH and bouncing off the rev limiter, no matter of where the motor was trimmed so I believe it was too low. Raised the motor two holes and the foot was blowing out so i moved it down to the middle holes. Also finally got the engine interface cable to be able to read RPMs on the graph. Currently running the original 13-5/8” 13 pitch aluminum prop and turning around 6k RPMs, with 6250 being on the rev limiter and still only getting around 32 MPH. Should I consider a jack plate to help fine tune the setup? What pitch prop would the brain trust recommend?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

You might be better off with a 16 or 17 pitch.

X press 1756 side console
    Mounting hole is 2nd from top
    13 pitch PowerTech
    37 mph

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    X press 1756 side console
    Mounting hole is 2nd from top
    13 pitch PowerTech
    37 mph
    Same motor?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

I'd try a 17 ybs or similar...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Actually, I have a 19 ybs you could try....it may be a little much, but would give you an idea of how a 17 would run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Actually, I have a 19 ybs you could try....it may be a little much, but would give you an idea of how a 17 would run.

I may take you up on that. Shoot me a pm when you get a minute, your inbox is full

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    I may take you up on that. Shoot me a pm when you get a minute, your inbox is full
    Text me. 864 fiveoh5 5828

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    Same motor?
    same motor

If you are bouncing off the rev limiter, no amount of engine moving, jack plating, or tinkering is going to get you much faster. You can only pedal a bike so fast in first gear.

Go up to a 16 or 17 pitch prop and see where you are at. You may need to even go up to a 19 if you are looking for unloaded performance.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 02-14-2022 at 08:17 AM.

I will chime in. Had a Yamaha 70 2 stroke on a 1648 tracker, tiller steer. 17p stainless would run 38-40 loaded, 40-45 just me. 19p would get a little more top end, but wouldn’t tote the load as well. Buddy had a 17’ express with the F70 and a 17p stainless and it was 36 mph loaded or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr