Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamewardens doing their thing

Default Gamewardens doing their thing

SAVANNAH, Ga. —
    Two Savannah, Georgia, officers are being recognized as heroes after saving a drowning woman who jumped off a bridge this week.

Video in link below

On Thursday, the department identified the officers as Sgt. Sharif Lockett and Officer William Fitzpatrick.

Around 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, officers were dispatched to the Forest River Bridge, at Abercorn Street and Heroes Way, after someone witnessed a shoeless woman leaning over the bridge. By the time officers were on the scene, the woman had already jumped into the water and vanished.

Additional first responders arrived in an attempt to locate the woman and were assisted by residents in the area.

During the search, officers said they heard gurgling sounds and discovered the woman was underneath a dock.

After attempts to pull the woman out were unsuccessful, Lockett and Fitzpatrick then jumped in the water to get her onto the dock. She was treated at the scene by EMS.

"We are so proud of all of the officers involved for their joint rescue actions," Chief Roy Minter said. "It was definitely a team effort for all officers, first responders and citizens involved -- from the extensive search to the rescue. We know that had these officers not responded and acted so quickly that this could have had a tragic outcome."

https://www.wyff4.com/article/savann...woman/39045702

So they infringed on her right to off herself. That's how I read it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Just a curious question I've wondered about for years... not for trolls...

Why do we stop suicides? Is it for the family? Why does everyone think they know what's best for the person who's trying to end their life?

We hardly give a damn about our homeless Veterans, et al, but we worry about someone jumping off a bridge? Our President is giving out crack pipes, supposedly, so our druggies don't die from infections... we don't do anywhere near enough about the pedos, especially since our President is one... yet we stop suicides.

Just askin'...

Edited to add... FEETDOWN, we were posting at the same time. We obviously agree.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-11-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

How dare they
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Just a curious question I've wondered about for year... not for trolls...

Why do we stop suicides?
    The better question is, why do we no longer treat mental illness in this country?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The better question is, why do we no longer treat mental illness in this country?
    It's too expensive. Easier to prescribe a pill cocktail.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Because suicide attempts are often failed because they didn't really want to die??

Because more than half of the US population would be in an asylum and Washington DC would be completely empty.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Why do we stop suicides? Is it for the family? Why does everyone think they know what's best for the person who's trying to end their life?
    Because it is a permanent solution made by a person who is not in the right frame of mind at the time to a more than likely temporary problem.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Because it is a permanent solution made by a person who is not in the right frame of mind at the time to a more than likely temporary problem.
    Well said

I scrolled down this thread mainly looking for someone that had some wise words, this was fitting. Thanks as I will use this reference in the future.

Birddawg nailed it.

My dad attempted suicide in '77. He'd been silently depressed over a pending divorce. Mom never knew he really wasn't doing well inside. He fooled everybody. And, ironically, Mom is the one who saved his life. She tried to wake him for work and found him unresponsive. An ambulance took him to the hospital, doctors pumped his stomach, and they saved his life, thankfully. He'd taken an overdose of barbiturates.

He died in 2006 under murky and suspicious circumstances, but that's a whole 'nother story I'll spare you. Despite that, I'm glad he had 29 more years after his suicide attempt.

Damn good point, and the result, in many cases, is homeless people who know no differently. My dad predicted this would happen decades ago when the psych hospitals began shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Because suicide attempts are often failed because they didn't really want to die??
    Is that an opinion/guess, or are there really stats that support it? Not challenging the notion, just asking.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

id say a failed suicide is a call for help. it aint that hard to off yourself if you put your mind to it. no clue on efficiency stats for suicide attempts

Good friend of mine hung himself a few years back and I sure wish myself or someone had been there that night to save him. Didn’t leave a note or any explanation why. The only thing we could figure was he had a minor medical bill debt after a bad car wreck. Sat on his tailgate 2 days before and talked about plans the following weekend.

But it's theirs to make, mistake or not, or it should be.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    But it's theirs to make, mistake or not, or it should be.
    Understood but if there is a chance to stop it, stop it. My best friend and my dad both shot themselves. I don't claim to be an expert on this subject by any means, but I have more experience with it than anyone should ever have to endure.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner.

Mental health care is a joke. There are a lot of skilled and caring clinicians out there trying to help, but it isn't enough. The number of inpatient mental health beds is a shadow of what it once was....

Our department is kind of taking a pilot role by having an almost full-time unit dedicated to responding to mental health calls in the county. A trained deputy WITH a SC DMH clinician in the car. It's showing success. But it's not enough.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 02-11-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'm with birddawg. Next door neighbor went down into the woods behind the house I grew up in. Wife called dad and said he stormed off into the woods with his pistol.

Dad and I walked down the path that led to a spot I deer hunted and we could see the outline of him from the back leaned up against the tree. We hadn't heard a shot so we knew he was alive but we didn't want to get shot for trying to help either. When we got around in front of him the look in his eyes is something I will never forget. When dad told him to put the gun down he pulled his Ruger security 6 357 up to his temple and closed his eyes. We both rushed him and were able to wrestle the gun away from him. He cried like a baby with dad and I for an hour. He and dad and I were always real close. I'll never forget that night laying in bed waiting to hear a gun shot next door. We had taken his pistol but I think he had a 30-30. I still have that pistol of his today. He has never asked for it back. 16 years later you'd never know anything like that ever happened
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I can’t believe some of these responses… I hope none of you have to ever deal with a loved one or friend taking their own life. I hope someone is there to stop them…
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson