Thread: Bedder for Corn

Default Bedder for Corn

Using a bedder has been suggested by a few people to try to get better corn in our duck pond. The only ones I can find online seem to be single row. Anyone know where I can get a two or even four row bedder? Anyone looking to get rid of one? All help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. Looked at ag supply, and all they seem to have are the ones that do only one row at a time. The link above is a one row bedder I believe.

What’s the rational behind planting on a bed and making better corn?

IMO bedding or hilling as the old timers call it was beneficial for old variety sweet corn. It helped the base of the corn hold moisture and helped strengthen the base of the corn in heavy winds.

From my research most RR corn varieties have different traits “bred” into them and hilling is no longer needed. The stalks and bases are bigger and stronger and the RR corn varieties have better drought resistance bred into them.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

It’s been explained to me that if we get a big rain that having the corn up on a hill may help make sure it doesn’t stay wet too long. Not my idea but seems to be working for others in their impoundments.

Don’t know much about it but I assume it’s the same reason we bed wet sites to plant loblolly. Trying to make something grow in an environment that’s almost/is too wet for it. Getting it up out of the water makes a big difference in survival.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    It’s been explained to me that if we get a big rain that having the corn up on a hill may help make sure it doesn’t stay wet too long. Not my idea but seems to be working for others in their impoundments.
    Saw a large field done on hills like this at SEMO Outfitters.

FB Marketplace or check with Jared Humphries in Lake City. You want to find and old tobacco bedder with row markers if you are planting on four rows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.