Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts for Large Creek Crossing?

Default Thoughts for Large Creek Crossing?

We have a remote area on our property we are trying to gain more access to that sits behind a large creek. I am guessing to span the creek would be 20'-30', supports aren't really an option (IMO they would get washed out pretty quick with the first couple good rain events). This would be a foot bridge/ATV bridge at most weight wise.

Due to remote nature, about all we can get to the creek would be a smaller skid steer. All that being said, I am trying to brainstorm what what might work to span it. Looks like We can get LVL beams up to 40', but I wonder about sealing/treating them and how they would hold up in the elements. Also though about smaller steel I-beams, or telephone poles. Any other ideas out there? Anyone done something similar before and have some tips/advice?

TIA
    Formerly DM88

Telephone poles and some 2 x 6,8,10,12s every so often.

In the spirit of the Olympics I would recommend a pole vault but I know your athletic ability is not much better than mine so that would backfire rather quickly. Telephone poles would be easiest is what I was thinking as well.

Ride around in the country and find an old abandoned single wide. Contact the owners, offer to tear it down and remove it for the frame.

I poured concrete in the creek bed several years ago during a drought when the creek
    was dried up, some folks call that method a low water bridge.. I'd be glad to show it to you sometime if you're in Union Co.

Fierljeppen

zip line
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Buy two cull poles (already treated) from Delta in Whitmire. It used to be $2/ft and they would load them. I’m not sure what they cost now. As mentioned above, use some 2x6s and make your bridge.

Mobile home trailer frame.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    zip line
    Was thinking the same thing or a rope swing
    867-5309

I had same problem. Bought a 16 jon boat

Old flatbed trailer

8" red iron C Chanel. Super lightweight and would likely do the job by themselves but a 2x6 will slide in there perfectly. I have driven a 4k lb tractor across one that was built like that and it is way easier to load or handle that poles.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

"They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

If he can only get a skid steer in there, I doubt a single wide frame will be able to be maneuvered in.

I’d go telephone poles. Cheap and will last a while.

I would use power poles. You can get from power company. I got some for a fake powerline and they didnt charge me anything for them. They usually have some in really good shape. I guess you would have to stand them up and let them fall over if you cant get a backhoe in there. If you want to stay cheap. Take a chain saw and cut two or three trees and let them fall across. Move into place And screw 3/4 plywood to them. Should last for a while until you can figure out something more permanent
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 02-08-2022 at 07:20 PM.

I done it three times with telephone poles and 2x6s. One was a walking bridge but the other two were 4 wheeler bridges. They lasted for 15 years.

Place them at the width of the wheel base of your atv or utv.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-08-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Luvin Labs and Cat Daddy have good ideas. If you can get several power poles you can lay them side by side and pack the dirt around the ends to keep them firmly in place. Then plank it with the biggest boards you can find. Rent a mini ex for a weekend and you’ll be good to go. I have logged a pile of wood over bridges just like that.

In full disclosure the widest span I would feel comfortable driving over would be about 25’ maximum without some type of uprights. I am not an engineer though, just a real world cheap guy that spends a lot of time in the woods.

Put posts/poles in the ground at each end and run cables down towards the middle of bridge for support? Would probably also have to run them to anchors in the opposite direction to balance things out. Have a mini suspension bridge.