Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21/22 Hunt Dump

Default 21/22 Hunt Dump

Wtf happened?! Guess the hunting was as bad as everybody says. Normally, by the last weekend of season, the 60 day phot dump ensues. People share photos of hunts that tell the stories on their own. I think theres been a total of 10 dead SC birds posted on this forum so far since teal season. Damn shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill start. I was only able to scratch out 2 public land hunts this season. With being busy at work and family life, I just didnt have much time to get out this year. The warmer temps and lack of birds on my locator ponds didnt add any enthusiasm, but I made the most of it when I could.

Hey now! I posted about 25. Only killed about 40 birds in SC. I don't get quite as enthused as I used to tho

This is the first mallard I have killed in over five years. I just don’t see very many where I hunt.575F274F-9604-4F25-8731-5B919EB921F3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    This is the first mallard I have killed in over five years. I just don’t see very many where I hunt.575F274F-9604-4F25-8731-5B919EB921F3.jpg
    At least someone killed a mallard there!

Only one local hunt and the guys missed the 2 that came in. Spent the 2nd and 4th week of Jan in Arkansas right off the Arkansas River near Wright on a rice field. The first week we saw tens of thousands of birds but they flew back and forth from the river to the private fields on the bayou. The vast majority of them were pintails. We drove right by the fields they were in each day. The rest was split between spoons and teal. Only saw one greenhead all week on our end and it was with several hens and never gave us a look. We never got a group to work right the entire week. Shot one spoon and one speckled belly out of frustration. There were thousands of specs and snows back and fourth all week as well.

The 4th week the numbers were down on ducks and geese. Again nothing wanted to play in Wright. The bean field to our east held a few birds at times but nothing that worked for those guys either. They shot a few passing birds. We were hoping the geese would still be there and took 10 doz speck decoys with us but they were all but gone. We had the only open water with 2 morning from running an ice eater but still nothing. We ended up going to Stuttgart 2 afternoons and shooting some spoonies just to pull the trigger. I did kill a bull sprig with just under 8".

The 2nd week we saw a lot more green heads move into the Stuttgart area but still nothing down near Wright until around Friday. We started packing up Saturday around lunch time and just sat around til dark watching. Sure wasn't what I was hoping for.
    Last edited by SilverFox; 02-04-2022 at 10:38 PM.

You can’t post successful pics on here. Before you know it, the places you use to love and cherish gets so crowded that it’s not even worth going back. There’s not many great places left, and some choose to keep it in a small circle. Unfortunately, those places are starting to get too much attention.
    Some people are very different. Just because I see someone on here or anywhere have a successful hunt, I’m not going to try to research and find out where it happened. I don’t care. I know that more pressure in that particular spot isn’t going to help the situation. Just because someone smacked them there the day before, doesn’t mean you’re going to go back the next day and do the same. People can’t grasp that.
    867-5309

Case in point are several places that Bogster and his buddies hunt every weekend…. Oh,
    And let’s not tell about the surface drives
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    You can’t post successful pics on here. Before you know it, the places you use to love and cherish gets so crowded that it’s not even worth going back. There’s not many great places left, and some choose to keep it in a small circle. Unfortunately, those places are starting to get too much attention.
    Some people are very different. Just because I see someone on here or anywhere have a successful hunt, I’m not going to try to research and find out where it happened. I don’t care. I know that more pressure in that particular spot isn’t going to help the situation. Just because someone smacked them there the day before, doesn’t mean you’re going to go back the next day and do the same. People can’t grasp that.
    exactly!
    Windows Down!

A0BAA312-3528-4325-B833-3105F3123B0B.jpg48CA3AA8-26C8-47D7-8995-45D3104235BB.jpg. Finally had some migrators show up at the end of season. Any ideas on the white winged hen?

As careful as I am, I've lost a lot of duck spots over the years. The hardest lesson is losing a duck spot to a "friend". Digging deeper, though, shows that many of these "friends" just have a different perspective on what's acceptable and what isn't.

In the late 1990's, I felt pretty safe taking a guy without a boat to a favorite spot. We killed a few birds including a couple of greenheads. I got a call a week or so later. It was the same guy telling me that he had another boy with a boat to take him back to the "spot you showed me" and they killed a few birds including a banded greenwing. I was fuming. But the guy wasn't embarrassed about it. He wasn't hesitant to tell me where he had taken the guy. In his mind, it was completely okay. I've got a few of these stories but for the past 20 years I haven't taken anyone other than my own son.

I hunt alone with a 2-shot gun. I try to go late in the morning and get to my spot with the minimum amount of light, fuss or bother. Folks hunting a mile away might hear a shot or two occasionally but probably never think to themselves that there is a hot spot they need to investigate. Contrast that with skybusters letting off 9-shot volleys every 22 minutes attracting attention from every direction. I've had to force myself into "low production" areas. Learned a lot of new water and boat ramps. I've hunted new species in new places and old species in new places. It's pretty amazing but a migrating mallard in open water is very, very different bird from a wintering mallard in flooded timber. I killed two 8-toed greenheads this year - One the day after the November opener and one the Friday before the last day. These birds were, as the crow flies, 142 miles apart.

This is all to say that I know I'm a much more complete duck hunter since I had the hordes run me out of my warm, comfortable duck spots. I am, in some odd way, grateful.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    As careful as I am, I've lost a lot of duck spots over the years. The hardest lesson is losing a duck spot to a "friend". Digging deeper, though, shows that many of these "friends" just have a different perspective on what's acceptable and what isn't.
    They will rat you out in a heartbeat...

The “spot” is a small piece of the puzzle. A lot more goes into the hunt than just location. It is an important piece, but not the main.
    867-5309

If the spot is such a big deal than blur it or crop it out. I get it and its the main reason for the past several years I only hunted private that I had to spend hundreds of hours tracking down the owner, pleading for permission, helping around the property, etc. this year unfortunately most of these areas Ive had in the past were either dry, bird less or not huntable anymore for one reason or another.

Default 21/22 Hunt Dump

The “spot” is a small piece of the puzzle. A lot more goes into the hunt than just location. It is an important piece, but not the main.
    I would argue the spot is about 95% of it.

I could set up with the best of intentions in a spot that birds dont want to be or simply arent around and its not going to make a difference how good I am.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 02-05-2022 at 12:32 PM.

I agree, but then you have to be smart enough to realize it and HIDE.

A lot of folks wind up in good spots, spots birds want to be, then spend all morning giving the birds reasons to NOT want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Case in point are several places that Bogster and his buddies hunt every weekend…. Oh,
    And let’s not tell about the surface drives
    ?

I don’t own or hunt out of a surface drive.

I must hunt your hole. Good.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.