Thread: Last hunt of the year

Default Last hunt of the year

Work had me busy the last two weeks, so when I got a Saturday morning off I knew I had to take it. The lake I planned to hunt has several blinds you hang a tag before the hunt to claim your spot. Being the last weekend of the season, there were very few blinds left available.

Normally I can expect 10-15mph winds out of the north or northwest at this location. This morning was forecasted for 3-5mph out of the south, ~20* at shooting light then warming up to ~50* by 11am.

I looked at available spots, and interestingly enough a back corner where I have been previously successful was open. Walk in was about 1 mile through some VERY thick vegetation with lots of briars and rabbit holes, so I think people figured it wasn’t worth the trouble.

I parked the truck and three trucks were at the same location and they were about to get set up at the blind next to me. I always try to chat with my hunting neighbors just to feel them out and let them know “hey I’m going to x, please don’t shoot me”. Plus this tactic has played out where I’m on the birds and invite my neighbor, or vice versa. Anyway the hunters are nice enough, seem a bit hurried so I wished them “good luck” and went on my way.

My late-season strategy in SC has always been small spreads, paired up decoys, jerk string, stay very hidden. Well it turns out where I live now we have big pushes of birds late in the season, so I’m seeing bigger rafts on the lake. I decided to take as many decoys as I could, turned out to be ~25-30. I set the jerk string up last (as is tradition) with three black ducks on it. The jerk string I use is one I made and attached the decoy swivels to the main line with prussick knots so I can slide the swivels along the mainline very easily. I wrote a post several years ago about it on here. Anyway, I slide the decoys into place in the center of the main group of decoys, run the line back to my hide.

I spend most of my season forgetting things, running late, dealing with broken gear, etc. But not this hunt- I was ready. Decoys went out efficiently. Hide was perfect. Calls ready to go. Shells in the front left pocket. Glove on my left hand, no glove on the right (trigger hand). Mask up with my old lucky Filson hat on top. I was ready to go.

Ten minutes before shooting light I have a pair of mallards land on the far left of the decoys. They hung out for just a few seconds, it felt like a good omen.

Shooting light comes and the rest of the lake sounds like a war zone. A half hour goes by and I am not seeing any birds, which worries me because the last time I hunted this hole I had 10 teal in the hole at shooting light. I kinda drifted off into thought about how this has been among my top two best seasons to date, and certainly the best I’ve ever done by myself on public land. I realized how lucky I was to have the opportunities this year that I’ve had, and that even if I didn’t shoot a single bird today I still had an amazing season and it would be just fine.

Well just like any other hunt, as soon as you aren’t paying attention the birds will fly. First a lone hen gadwall came fearlessly charging in, and I dropped her. Went to pick her up and saw a silhouette about 300yds off in the stratosphere. As soon as I got back to my hide, the silhouette revealed himself as her drake, who quickly tumbled into the decoys.

7AFA722B-5716-400A-A3E5-1B7332E47CC9.jpeg

Another 5 minutes pass, and I hear the whistle of wings and lonesome chuckling. I look up and see the sun against a bright green head, and he fell and broke the ice 10 feet from my hide.

20968C9C-4015-4A98-8501-E1F1E96687D1.jpeg

The sun was starting to come up, and I shifted my hide about 20 yards so I’d be in the shadows. Not 5 minutes after switching, another hen gadwall fearlessly decoys and lands. “Take your time with this shot” I tell myself as I aim at the spot I imagine her feet are swimming below, and just like that she is coming home with me and the others.

A drake greenwing teal decides to decoy 10 feet from me, and wouldn’t you know it I go 0/3 and he leaves a free man. Cheers to you, drake greenwing- go make more ducks for us next year.

So now I am sitting on four birds, something I never would’ve dreamed of before leaving SC. But this is my last day of the season, so I do my best to ignore my numb feet and slowly leaking waders. I want my other two birds.

A pair of gadwalls lands at 45+ yards, then started to swim away. I just waited for them to cross, aimed at their feet, and watched the pellets land all around them- quickly followed by both birds getting up and flying away. Dang it!

It’s now 10:45 and getting warm. A lonesome drake gadwall sneaks into the decoys and is quick to join his fallen comrades. I wait until 11:30 and decide to call it as my wife had a big birthday weekend planned in a nearby city. Best to keep her happy.

Ended the day on a high note with 5 birds. As I am walking out, my neighbors ask what I have. They were shocked at the gadwalls because they never see them on the lake, and they were sitting on 6 beautiful drake goldeneyes.

51DA5776-5AAE-4500-A6EF-3AD60B1D2C91.jpeg
    D60865E5-5E6B-4F84-A485-4E24C831B892.jpeg
    896B4CF8-869F-4227-B4A1-59156948E4E4.jpeg
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

good hunt and thanks for sharing
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Solid!

Great hunt!
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

You done good!

Great hunt. Is it kosher to ask what state?
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Great hunt. Is it kosher to ask what state?
    “Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain”

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    Ahhh Lake Hartwell.

Great read and pics!

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    That's where I'm at as well. On the wet/east side of state though
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    That's where I'm at as well. On the wet/east side of state though
    I thought you weren’t too far from me. Man you got after them this year! Y’all getting any of this snow or ice?
    Last edited by abarill; 02-02-2022 at 08:05 PM.